History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St John's on the Hill School

A Grade II Listed Building in Sedbury, Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6479 / 51°38'52"N

Longitude: -2.669 / 2°40'8"W

OS Eastings: 353809

OS Northings: 194557

OS Grid: ST538945

Mapcode National: GBR JM.7HBZ

Mapcode Global: VH87M.PVC2

Entry Name: St John's on the Hill School

Listing Date: 7 August 1954

Last Amended: 7 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1100283

English Heritage Legacy ID: 354577

Location: Tidenham, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, NP16

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean

Civil Parish: Tidenham

Built-Up Area: Sedbury

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Tidenham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Chepstow

Listing Text

TIDENHAM CASTLEFORD HILL, Tutshill
ST 59 SW
(south side)
12/231 St John's on the hill
School (formerly listed
7.8.54 as St John's College
(formerly Tutshill House))
- II
Country house, once known as Tutshill House now school. Early C19, probably 1806.
Rendered and ashlared, sandstone plinth, simple cornice plus parapet, stone slate
hipped roof to front, Welsh slate back, end stacks. A fine compact block with two
symmetrical flat bows to front and one deep semi-circular full-height bay at back.
Front is two storeys, 3-windowed, each by a 3-light, 4:12:4 pane sash, and
centrally a pair of French doors with horizontal glazing bars, all these to
a continuous thin stone balcony on concealed supports and with decorative iron
railing; at ground floor in bays, full-height French doors plus side-lights and
transom light, with horizontal glazing bars, and, centrally pair glazed doors with
horizontal glazing bars, under entablature with fluted frieze, on consoles. Return
wall, left, includes deep arched sash to stair. Back has deep bow, right; two
storeys, 2 + 3-windowed, top floor all 12-pane sashes, ground floor a wide pair
of glazed doors with side lights, fanlight, and horizontal bars, and, in bow, 3
pairs of French doors with horizontal bars and transom lights. Interior: Hall and
lobby floors black and white marble, through elliptical opening to dog-leg stair
with stick balusters and mahogany handrail, main rooms with fine plaster cornices,
especially to saloon with deep bow at backs. The property was formerly known as
Tutshill House, and holds a commanding position overlooking the Wye Valley and
Chestow to the south.


Listing NGR: ST5380994557

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.