History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Taylor's Farmhouse and Barn Adjoining

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Strickland, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5985 / 54°35'54"N

Longitude: -2.6873 / 2°41'14"W

OS Eastings: 355694

OS Northings: 522811

OS Grid: NY556228

Mapcode National: GBR 9HP8.0B

Mapcode Global: WH81K.PPJ1

Entry Name: Taylor's Farmhouse and Barn Adjoining

Listing Date: 3 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101543

English Heritage Legacy ID: 74260

Location: Great Strickland, Eden, Cumbria, CA10

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

Civil Parish: Great Strickland

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Great Strickland St Barnabas

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Great Strickland

Listing Text

NY 52 SE,
13/56

GREAT STRICKLAND,
GREAT STRICKLAND,
Taylor's Farmhouse & barn adjoining

30.7.87

II

Farmhouse and ramp barn (now residential). Probably C17 with later additions and alterations; 1746 date, with initials T & MT, inscribed on door lintel refers to extension to house and addition of barn. Mixed limestone and rubble walls partly cement rendered. Graduated greenslate roof with rebuilt red brick chimney stacks. 2 storeys; house 4 bays, barn to left 3 bays under common roof. Original house has ground floor fire window and Yorkshire sashes; dated extension has part-glazed door and sashes, all in painted stone surrounds. Barn has blocked segment - arched doorway and 2 flat-headed doorways with inserted casements, all with narrow chamfer to surrounds. Central winnowing door above. Rear has ramp up to central cart entrance flanked by vent slits. INTERIOR of house: 1746 extension has inglenook with chamfered bressumer on ground floor; original house has bolection-moulding to fire surround in left-hand room. Panelled partition has shallow (plate rack?) recess, fronted by trefoiled arcade, over door.


Listing NGR: NY5569422811

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.