This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8152 / 51°48'54"N
Longitude: 0.1551 / 0°9'18"E
OS Eastings: 548651
OS Northings: 215151
OS Grid: TL486151
Mapcode National: GBR LD5.41Y
Mapcode Global: VHHM1.MMWT
Entry Name: Grain Store at Sawbridgeworth
Listing Date: 24 July 1975
Last Amended: 2 October 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1101657
English Heritage Legacy ID: 160831
Location: Sawbridgeworth, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, CM21
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Sawbridgeworth
Built-Up Area: Sawbridgeworth
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Sawbridgeworth
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
Grain Store at
listed as Mill buildings
TL 4865 1515:2/2 24.7.75
under Station Road)
C18 white weatherboarded 2 storey mill building with old red tile gabled
roof. Timber frame on brick base. 2, C19 single storey rear wings
weatherboarded and slated. Large 2-hoist lucam, weatherboarded with slate
roof, projects at roof level on N side supported on 2 long curved braces.
Last bay on E has unpainted boarding and raised floor level. Next 2
bays towards W have 2 storeys with loft over served by lucam. C19
casement window to 1st floor next to 3 light fixed window of same size.
1 small and 1 larger small paned casement windows to Gd floor. Narrow half
glazed door on left with simple surround and flat moulded canopy on cut
brackets. W part of 1 high storey with a loft over in roofspace. Small
lean-to enclosed half glazed porch with tiled roof. Flush panelled half
glazed door. To E of porch a 3 light casement window with small lights
above a transom, outer ones with diagonal corners. To W of porch
continuous band of glazing up to corner, 2 panes high. W gable end a formal
composition facing the approach road. Large flush sash window with
moulded architrave and 8/8 panes. Small 3 light wood casement to loft over.
Circular dial in point of gable with single pointer. Surmounting gable, a
wooden bell turret in the form of a lead covered base, slatted sides, slated
roof gabled to W with moulded bargeboard and pierced spandrel, and a wind
vane on top with rotating arrow above letters N E S W. Bell stock remains
but bell removed since 1971. W face of nearer rear wing has weatherboarding
and C19 flush sash window with plain architrave and 2/2 panes. Interior
of W part fitted as office with early C19 moulded door architraves and fire
surround with mouldings and corner stops with roundels. A picturesque mill
building beside bridge over mill stream. Only surviving weatherboarded
building of mill destroyed by fire c.1978. Brick maltings survive much
altered in domestic use. This seems to be the mill group referred to by
Pevsner (2nd Ed Rev 1977, 336) as Burton's Mill.
Listing NGR: TL4865115151
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings