This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7867 / 51°47'12"N
Longitude: -0.0433 / 0°2'36"W
OS Eastings: 535057
OS Northings: 211592
OS Grid: TL350115
Mapcode National: GBR KBS.V62
Mapcode Global: VHGPP.6CF5
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity (Church of England)
Listing Date: 20 April 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1101699
English Heritage Legacy ID: 160673
Location: Hertford Heath, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG13
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Hertford Heath
Built-Up Area: Hertford Heath
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Little Amwell Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 3511 LITTLE AMWELL CHURCH HILL
4/67 Church of The Holy Trinity
- (C of E)
Parish church. 1863 by Ewan Christian for Rev David Barclay Bevan
(vicar here 1864-81), restored 1913 at cost of £220. Red brick banded
with blue brick. Bath stone keystones to pointed arches and plate
tracery to S transept. Steep red tile roofs with bands of scalloped
tiles, swept valleys, and moulded wooden bargeboards. Square slender
timber fleche over crosswing, lead clad and with square shingled spire
over louvred bell chamber. Small church in Early English style, with
nave, apsidal chancel, crosswing and S transept, SE vestry, and
entrance by N porch. Small lancet windows with red and buff brick
pointed arches in pairs to nave and singly around the apse, tall stepped
triplets of lancets to W end and N gable crosswing. High wheel window to
S transept. Stained glass to chancel and transept, lattice leaded clear
glass with margins elsewhere. Moulded bricks drip course externally and
buttresses between nave windows on line of truss. Interior has a wide
pointed polychrome chancel arch on stubby E E marble columns with over
large foliate stone caps. Low plaster-vaulted chancel has wooden ribs
rising from a moulded wallplate. Plastered walls with polychrome inner
arches of splayed windows exposed. Moulded band below window sills.
Simple wooden rail on foliate ironwork at line of arch. Low stone
orthostat on RH and coved corbelled stone base to octogonal oak pulpit
on LH outside arch but at raised level. Lofty open timber roof of
arch-braced collar construction has 2½ bays to nave and a further bay
taken up by the crosswing with lower roofs coming in from each side.
Heavy chamfered stone corbels in nave support wallposts and feet of
moulded arch-braces. Polychrome arch of 2 chamfered orders into
transept, the inner order carried on moulded corbels. Nave walls
plastered with polychrome arches left exposed. Stone shaft and carved
foliate capital supplies central support between each pair of lancets.
Uniform pine skeleton pews with reversed Y ends. Organ in S transept
dated 1864 built by T W Walker, London. Large stone font on square
platform and moulded octagonal shaft and base. Heavy rounded bowl with
inscribed band and circular oak cover with iron handle. Low raised
platform at W end. Marble relief carved wall monument in chancel to
H F Durnford d.1878, signed H F Williamson, with Figure of the Good
Shepherd. Large gabled enclosed N porch in red brick with timber framed
upper part forming a band of quatrefoil windows to sides and at front
flanking a very large single-leaf oak door with decorative ironwork in
timber gable end with pierced and cusped bargeboards. (VCH (1912)414:
Kelly (1914)22: Pevsner (1977)235).
Listing NGR: TL3505711592
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings