History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

East India College Arms Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Hertford Heath, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7803 / 51°46'49"N

Longitude: -0.0421 / 0°2'31"W

OS Eastings: 535160

OS Northings: 210887

OS Grid: TL351108

Mapcode National: GBR KBZ.869

Mapcode Global: VHGPP.7J21

Plus Code: 9C3XQXJ5+45

Entry Name: East India College Arms Public House

Listing Date: 30 September 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1356174

English Heritage Legacy ID: 355866

Location: Hertford Heath, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG13

County: Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Hertford Heath

Built-Up Area: Hertford Heath

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Little Amwell Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Ware

Description

GREAT AMWELL LONDON ROAD
TL 3510 (west side)
Hertford Heath
14/6 No 40
(East India College
Arms Public House)

GV II

Public House. C17 or earlier: extended forward, faced in brick.
E wing added and roof altered c1808: stucco bands and quoins
added and single-storey bar built at front in mid C19.
Timberframed old structure weatherboarded, only showing at W
gable. Red brick with slate roof, overhanging at front and E
wing with plastered soffit. Black stucco dressings of plinth,
floorband, eaves band, keystones and rusticated quoins on N and E
fronts and paired brackets added to eaves soffit. 2-storeys, 5-
windows front with gauged flat arches and recessed sash windows
with 6/6 panes. In front of right hand three bays a florid
stucco 1-storey stuccoed bar building with hipped slate roof and
brick plinth. Central double doors with 2 segmental bay windows.
In the angle on left 2 panelled doors linked under a flat hood
with reeded pilasters and stepped brackets in Regency style.
Large old lateral chimney protruder on back wall and red brick
gable chimney at W. Known as The Jolly Pindar, after a manorial
official, up to 1808 when the East India College (Haileybury) was
founded. The centrepiece of the village group. (Matthews (1959)
64).


Listing NGR: TL3516010887

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.