History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter and St Paul

A Grade II* Listed Building in Westbury-on-Severn, Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8229 / 51°49'22"N

Longitude: -2.4117 / 2°24'42"W

OS Eastings: 371717

OS Northings: 213887

OS Grid: SO717138

Mapcode National: GBR FZ.WBCT

Mapcode Global: VH94G.4FVX

Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Listing Date: 4 July 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101724

English Heritage Legacy ID: 354296

Location: Westbury-on-Severn, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL14

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean

Civil Parish: Westbury-on-Severn

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Westbury-on-Severn St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Westbury on Severn

Listing Text

SO 71 SW WESTBURY-ON-SEVERN WESTBURY VILLAGE


11/215 Church of St. Peter and
St. Paul


GV II*

Large parish church: early C14, restored 1862 and 1878. North
facade thin, roughly squared grey stone brought to courses, larger,
squared stone to quoins, ashlar to windows, south and most of west
faces smooth reddish render lined as ashlar, chancel south and east
well-squared stone approaching ashlar: roof late C20 machine-made
red clay tile. Nave, aisles, north and south porches, chancel,
organ chamber and vestry: tower detached (q.v.). North facade:
high porch in centre of unbuttressed aisle: chamfered, 2-centred
archway, with hoodmould: wrought-iron gates, 2 rails at about 1
metre up, St. Andrews cross between, spiral dog bars with
spearheads. Top rail follows arch with another to nearly similar
line below: main bars with spear and volute heads. To right of
porch one 2-light window, trefoil heads to lights, solid stone
panel to flat hoodmould. To left one similar 3-light window and
one 3-light with flying ogee heads to lights below pointed head.
Gable parapets to porch, aisle, nave and chancel with cross-gablet
apex with stone cross to each: only porch has projecting moulded
kneelers. 2-bay chancel with large, central buttress: 2-light
windows with cinquefoil ogee heads to lights, quatrefoil over, and
hoodmould. West face, 3 gables, square-set buttress to nave only,
with splayed plinth. Ridges and windows to aisles offset towards
centre: windows 2-light, ogee heads, with recessed spandrels to
flat hoodmould. Nave wide 2-centred moulded doorway with
hoodmould and double boarded doors with applied timber tracery.
Above a flat cinquefoiled ogee-headed niche containing a calvary:
3-light Perpendicular window with hoodmould above.
Interior plastered: 7-bay nave arcade, alternate octagonal and
lobed pillars, with moulded caps and bases: hoodmoulds to plain
moulded arches, with small carved heads as stops. Quatrefoil
clerestory windows in alternate bays. Archbraced collar trusses
off corbels, crown post but no longitudinal timber. Aisles
exposed collar rafters; scissor-braced trusses to chancel, all
roofs C19. Tall Early English style arch to chancel, with leaf
capitals: similar on south and from south aisle to organ chamber.
Old cross-boarded door to vestry. 8-lobed piscina reset in south
chancel window sill. Carved reredos (1878) stone and alabaster
extended as blind arcading across east wall: aumbry to match on
left. Plain 6-sided 1862 stone pulpit, blind quatrefoils above
plinth: octagonal C19 stone font, with crosses, symbols of
evangelists and dove on bowl, over trefoil-headed blind arcading on
stem. An older octagonal stone bowl set on octagonal stem dated
1583, with royal arms, on a splayed base. A number of good C18
and early C19 wall monuments in chancel and at west end of aisles,
including one to T. Sinderby with violin and score in white marble
by J. Pearce of Frampton. 1686 monument in north porch, and
benefactions board. A number of good late C17 and C18 headstones
in churchyard not separately listed. Church restored 1862 by
Medland and Maberley, 1864 and 1876-78. (Victoria County History,
Gloucestershire, Vol X, 1972; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Vale
and the Forest of Dean, 1970).


Listing NGR: SO7171513886

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.