This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9679 / 51°58'4"N
Longitude: -0.2249 / 0°13'29"W
OS Eastings: 522043
OS Northings: 231427
OS Grid: TL220314
Mapcode National: GBR J72.PXJ
Mapcode Global: VHGNM.1SYR
Entry Name: North Hertfordshire Masonic Lodge (The Cloisters)
Listing Date: 7 September 1979
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1102019
English Heritage Legacy ID: 161838
Location: North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG6
Electoral Ward/Division: Letchworth South West
Built-Up Area: Letchworth Garden City
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Letchworth
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 23 SW 1/23
1906-7 by W H Cowlishaw. Built for Miss Annie Lawrence as a residential School
of Psychology. Later converted for use as a preparatory school, then a concert
hall. By 1948 it had become a masonic lodge. Romantic composition with an
octagonal, high tower and 2 open turrets with spiral staircases rising above
the cloister garth, an open semi-circular court, which was later roofed with
a rotunda when used as a concert hall. Other features originally included cubicles
for dressing purposes linked to an open swimming bath. Tiled roofs. Grey brick
with diaper work patterns and Purbeck stone dressings. The rich, symbolic carved
work (doves and bats for example) was mostly uncompleted before the building
project in its original form came to a halt in 1907. Interior of painted brick
with mass concrete vaulting. Windows of 2-light mullioned casement with leaded
lights, and arranged as enormous mullioned key windows around the central court.
Entrance in north-west corner approached by flights of steps leading to arched
portico. The cloister garth has an arcade with columns of Swedish green marble
and a central fountain in Art Nouveau style around the central support of the
tower. Modern additions to the rear.
Listing NGR: TL2204331427
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings