This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7895 / 50°47'22"N
Longitude: -3.1465 / 3°8'47"W
OS Eastings: 319284
OS Northings: 99509
OS Grid: SY192995
Mapcode National: GBR LZ.ZNNV
Mapcode Global: FRA 4790.8A5
Entry Name: Offwell House Including Stables Adjoining to North
Listing Date: 8 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104088
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88781
Location: Offwell, East Devon, Devon, EX14
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Offwell
Built-Up Area: Offwell
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Offwell St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SY 19 NE OFFWELL OFFWELL
3/111 Offwell House including stables
- adjoining to north
House, former rectory. Built in 1828 according to Hoskins, 1830 according to
Pevsner, for the Reverend E. Coppleston, Bishop of Llandaff and Dean of St Pauls.
Plastered stone rubble, maybe with some brick; stone rubble stacks with probably
late C19 cream-coloured brick chimneyshafts; slate roof.
Plan: basically an L-plan building. The principal rooms are in the south-facing
block. It is double depth. There are 2 front rooms, the left (west) one broken
forward a little. The main entrance is on the left side with the entrance hall and
main stair behind the left front room. A double depth service wing projects at
right angles to rear of centre of the front block. There is a corridor between the
2 rear blocks, and the eastern one with 4 rooms is longer than the western one with
3 rooms. Most of the rooms Are heated by a series of axial stacks. 2 storeys.
Exterior: 1:2-window south front. The left-hand 1-window section breaks forward
and the corners here have stucco panelled pilasters. The ground floor window is a
bay window with 3 front 8-pane sashes and a moulded entablature. Above is a 12-pane
sash. To right are 12-pane sashes. 2-window front of 12-pane sashes and ground
floor French windows in the right end of the front block. A tented roof verandah on
timber trellis posts is round the right section of the front and right end. The
left (west) end of the front has a 2-window front of 12-pane sashes and the main
doorway is to left. The stuccoed porch has a plain outer arch, panelled pilasters
and moulded entablature. The doorway contains part-glazed double doors. The main
roof is hipped both ends with deep plain eaves. The service wing is a little lower
and both sides include regular but not symmetrical arrangements of 12-pane sashes.
Interior: includes a good deal of original joinery and other detail including the
large main stair; an open well stair with shaped newel posts with pendants, open
string and turned balusters.
At the rear, the north end, is a service courtyard enclosed by a tall plastered wall
and including various service buildings. On the north side is the stable and coach
house which has a large central ellipitcal arch and its roof (hipped each end) is
surmounted by a small dovecote with wrougnt iron weather vane. The courtyard also
includes a small game larder insulated by a double roof.
This was built the residence of Bishop Copleston who was responsible for much
building work in the parish in the early C19.
Sources: N. Pevsner. The Buildings of England, South Devon, (1952) p. 168
W. G. Hoskins, Devon (1952) p. 446.
Listing NGR: SY1928499509
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings