History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Widworthy, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7875 / 50°47'15"N

Longitude: -3.1136 / 3°6'48"W

OS Eastings: 321597

OS Northings: 99254

OS Grid: SY215992

Mapcode National: GBR M0.ZR0Q

Mapcode Global: FRA 47C0.8T5

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 22 February 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1104105

English Heritage Legacy ID: 88825

Location: Widworthy, East Devon, Devon, EX14

County: Devon

District: East Devon

Civil Parish: Widworthy

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Widworthy St Cuthbert

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Widworthy

Listing Text



SY 29 NW WIDWORTHY WIDWORTHY

4/152 The Old Rectory
-
22.2.55
GV II

House, former rectory. Circa 1840 - 50, parts of the rear service block may have an
earlier core. Plastered local stone and flint rubble (the plaster is lightly
incised as ashlar); brick or stone rubble stacks with stone rubble and Beerstone
chimneyshafts and Tudor-style terracotta chimneypots; slate roof with fleur-de-lys
shaped crested ridge tiles.
Plan: L-plan house. The main block faces east-north-east, say east, and it has a
double depth plan. The 3 front rooms are the principal rooms; the centre one is
heated by an axial stack to right and both end rooms have gable-end stacks. The
main entrance is in the left (north) end into the stair hall. The rest of the rear
block is service rooms. A kitchen block projects at right angles to rear of the
right (south) end. It has an axial stack. Behind the kitchen is a passage and
dairy/buttery. House is 2 storeys with a service courtyard containing stables
adjoining the right (south) end. Tudor Gothic style.
Exterior: symmetrical gabled 3-window front. The centre ground floor window is a
French window with glazing bars including a top tier of Tudor arch glazing bars and
it has a hoodmould. It is flanked by canted bay windows with Tudor arch lights,
sunken spandrels, hollow-chamfered timber mullions and original glazing bars. The 3
first floor windows have ovolo-moulded mullions and each light contains a 2-pane
sash. Each has a hoodmould and above is a gable with ornate bargeboards and
finials. The roof is gable-ended, also with shaped bargeboards with finials. The
main doorway in the left (north) end. It is a Tudor arch containing a C20 door. It
has a Tudor-style doorframe, flanking clustered pilasters and gabled hoodmould. The
rear of the main block includes a less regular arrangement of windows, some in Tudor
style. The service wing contains C19 and C20 casements and at first floor level on
the outer (south) side, 2 16-pane sashes with small iron balconies.
Interior: not inspected but is said to contain a great deal of original joinery and
other detail.


Listing NGR: SY2159799254

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.