This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7878 / 50°47'16"N
Longitude: -3.1161 / 3°6'57"W
OS Eastings: 321422
OS Northings: 99288
OS Grid: SY214992
Mapcode National: GBR M0.ZQCL
Mapcode Global: FRA 47C0.7V4
Plus Code: 9C2RQVQM+4H
Entry Name: Church of St Cuthbert
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1317948
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88820
Location: Widworthy, East Devon, Devon, EX14
Civil Parish: Widworthy
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Widworthy St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SY 29 NW WIDWORTHY WIDWORTHY
4/147 Church of St Cuthbert
Small parish church. Mid - late C14 on ancient church site, built to the memory of
Sir William Prouz (d. 1329) by his three daughters and co-heiresses; some late C15 -
early C16 refurbishment, and C19 modernisation. Local stone and flint rubble with
Beerstone and Hamstone ashlar detail; slate roof with crested ridge tiles.
Plan: cruciform plan church. Nave and chancel under a continuous roof, north and
south transept, south porch and west tower. C19 vestry on north side of chancel.
Exterior: single stage west tower with low diagonal buttresses, embattled parapet
and internal tower in north-east corner. The belfry has 2-light windows with
elliptical-headed lights. The tower west doorway is a 2-central arch with moulded
surround and hoodmould with worn carved label stops. It contains old double plank
doors. Directly above is a recessed plaque under a hoodmould and it contains the
conjoined 3 shields of Sir Willaim Prouz's daughters. The north side contains a
crank-headed light to the ringing floor and a cinquefoil headed light to the ground
On the south side of the nave there is, at the right (west) end a C19 Hamstone 2-
light window with Decorated tracery and hoodmould with carved human head label
stops. (There is another similar on the north side of the nave). The probably C16
porch has a leanto roof against the transept. The outer arch is a Beerstone 2-
centred arch with broad moulded surround and plain hoodmould. Directly above is a
Beerstone sundial and alongside it a much older and disused base of another sundial.
The porch has a plastered vault and the south doorway is a Beerstone 2-centred arch
and hoodmould with worn carved label stops. It contains a much-restored pair of
ancient studded plank doors with coverstrips. The transepts and chancel contain
Beerstone windows with Y-tracery, mostly 2 lights but the east window is 3 lights
and the chancel tracery is cusped. All the gables have shaped kneelers, coping and
apex cross. C19 vestry on the north side in Tudor Gothic style including the
Beerstone chimenyshaft. The north transept has diagonal buttresses and a Beerstone
and marble memorial in Gothic style in memory of Sir Edward Marwood Elton (d. 1884)
is set at the foot of the end wall.
Interior: the nave has a restored ceiled wagon roof with moulded ribs and purlins
with carved flat square bosses. The transepts and chancel have plain plaster vaults
of indeterminate date. Low tower arch with moulded surround. Plain chancel arch
with double chamfered arch ring. Both transept arches are C15 and have moulded
surrounds with half-engaged shafts and carved foliage caps and the moulding is
enriched with large carved 4-leaf motifs. The walls are plastered. The floor is
mostly flagged and includes a couple of graveslabs in the chancel. The north
transept floor is a chequer pattern of C19 tiles and the sanctuary floor includes
some contemporary encaustic tiles.
South of the sanctuary is a medieval Beerstone piscina and credence under a
cinquefoil head. In the north wall of the chancel the original priests door now
leads into the vestry. C18 fielded panel stalls and prayer desk. Late C19 - early
C20 Gothic lectern and pulpit and contemporary plain oak benches. Gothic style oak
tower arch was erected in 1951. C15 Beerstone font with octagonal bowl containing
quatrefoil panels enriched with rosettes, more rosettes around the base and panelled
Good monuments: the oldest is in the north transept. It represents a knight in
armour and angels support his pillow. It is set in a niche under a 3-centred arch
with moulded surrund enriched with 4-leaf motifs. It is reputed to be in memory of
Sir William Prouz (d. 1329) and erected some time after his death.
The chancel contains 2 C17 mural monuments. One, in memory of Alice Issac (d.
1685), is a marble rectangular plaque flanked by Corinthian columns, carved flowers
in the wings, and moulded entablature, open pediment with cartouche and strapwork
apron. (It retains traces of ancient colour). The inscription has gone from the
second; it is an oval marble plaque framed in a carved Beerstone cartouche of
drappery with cherubs heads at the top and a heraldic achievement in the apron.
In the north transept is a large and good quality memorial to James Marwood (d.
1767) by John Bacon featuring 2 nearly life size white marble female allegories in
bas relief flanking a vase on a pedestal, all on an orange marble ground. Also here
another large monument to Sarah Marwood (d. 1797) in white marlbe on a grey ground
featuring a mother with 2 children. In the south transept a monument to Robert
Marwood (d. 1733) has an urn over the entablature and another here in memory of
James Marwood (d. 1811) by Peter Rouw the Younger features 3 women grieving over a
sacophagus on which is a medallion carved with his profile. The nave contains
plainer monuments to the Reverend John Tucker (d. 1830), Thomas White, the Marwood
estate steward (d. 1838) by Peter Rouw the Younger, and Jacob Soraster (d. 1733).
No stained glass.
Source: Church guide.
Listing NGR: SY2142299288
Other nearby listed buildings