History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Johndower House (Countryside Commission) and Attached Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.9007 / 51°54'2"N

Longitude: -2.078 / 2°4'40"W

OS Eastings: 394726

OS Northings: 222459

OS Grid: SO947224

Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.X04

Mapcode Global: VH947.XHS9

Plus Code: 9C3VWW2C+7Q

Entry Name: Johndower House (Countryside Commission) and Attached Railings

Listing Date: 12 March 1955

Last Amended: 26 November 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1104264

English Heritage Legacy ID: 474580

Location: Lansdown, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50

County: Gloucestershire

Electoral Ward/Division: Lansdown

Built-Up Area: Cheltenham

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in



630-1/13/298 (West side)
12/03/55 John Dower House (Countryside
Commission) and attached railings
(Formerly Listed as:
(South side)
Carr's Hotel)
(Formerly Listed as:
(West side)
John Dower House (Forestry
Commission) and No.2)


Formerly known as: Old Police Station CRESCENT PLACE.
Hotel, now offices and attached railings. c1820-5, shown as
laid out on the Post Office Map of 1820; with c1960s extension
to rear. Ashlar over brick, stucco at right, with concealed
roof and brick end stacks, with wrought- and iron window
guards and railings.
PLAN: building in 2 sections, with main 6-window range to
right, double depth plan with central hallway (to main range),
service wings to rear and rear staircase bow to full height.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys with basement, 8 first-floor windows,
arranged 2:6. Ashlar detailing includes first-, second-, and
third-floor bands; crowning entablature and blocking course.
Ground, first and second floors have 6/6 sashes (taller to
first floor); second floor has 3/3 sashes. Basement has 6/6
sashes. Main range has central Ionic porch, with coupled
columns and entablature with sculptured Royal Coat of Arms
above, within are 6-fielded-panel double doors with fanlight
with batwing and circle glazing bars. 2 outer entrances:
6-fielded-panel doors with divided overlights. Rear: 6/6 and
8/8 sashes where original, with flat arches of red rubbed
brick, some in tooled surrounds.
INTERIOR: the 2 sections of the building are linked by curved
corridors, giving curved rooms at rear. Main range has central
lobby with double doors (c1960) in fluted architrave with
sidelights and continuous fanlight with batwing and circle
glazing bars, fluted architrave has flowers to corners,
embellished cornice has acanthus modillions and fleurons
between; entrance hall with curved open-well staircase to full
height with stick balusters and wreathed handrail, occupying

full-height bow. Original joinery remains including 6-fielded
panel doors, with fluted architraves and flowers to corners,
and some panelled shutters (now painted in). Original
plasterwork includes first-floor cornices with dentils to
first-floor main room and modillion cornice to entrance hall.
Range to left has further narrow-open-well staircase with rod
and bobbin balusters and wreathed handrail.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: spearhead area railings and to sides of
steps incorporate brackets for oil lamps with lyre motif.
First-floor individual balconies have interlaced-circle motif.
HISTORICAL NOTE: originally Liddell's Boarding House, this was
the first structure of any size to be built specifically in
Cheltenham for its Spa visitors. In 1827 Adelaide, Duchess of
Clarence (later to become Queen Consort to William IV) stayed
here during a tour of the country, hence the Royal Coat of
Arms (of a type used 1816-37). The building was renamed the
Clarence Hotel in her honour. It became the Court House and
Police Station in 1859 and remained as such until 1970. The
building was renamed by the Countryside Commission when it
moved into the premises (1974) in honour of one of the leading
pioneers of national parks in England and Wales.
Forms a group with No.2, Crescent Place (qv) and No.42,
Clarence Street (qv).
(The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale
and The Forest of Dean: London: 1970-: 134; Chatwin A:
Cheltenham's Ornamental Ironwork: Cheltenham: 1975-1984:

Listing NGR: SO9471122450

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.