History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bury (Berry) Barton

A Grade II Listed Building in Petrockstowe, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8726 / 50°52'21"N

Longitude: -4.1227 / 4°7'21"W

OS Eastings: 250742

OS Northings: 110268

OS Grid: SS507102

Mapcode National: GBR KN.T7DW

Mapcode Global: FRA 267S.RPJ

Entry Name: Bury (Berry) Barton

Listing Date: 25 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1104524

English Heritage Legacy ID: 91014

Location: Petrockstow, Torridge, Devon, EX20

County: Devon

District: Torridge

Civil Parish: Petrockstow

Built-Up Area: Petrockstowe

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Petrockstowe St Petrock

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Merton

Listing Text

PETROCKSTOWE
SS 51 SW
5/40 Bury (Berry) Barton
-
- II
Farmhouse, reputedly the former dower house to Heanton Satchville the seat of the
Clintons. Early C17 origins considerably remodelled in C18 with C19 addition,
modernised in late C20. Stone rubble walls. Hipped slate roof, gabled to addition
at left-hand end. Brick stack at either end, the left-hand one rendered, and one
axial.
Plan: the plan of the C17 house is unclear since an internal inspection was not
possible at the time of the survey. It appears, however, to have been somewhat
altered by an C18 remodelling which probably incorporated the addition of 2 1-room
plan wings to either end at the front and an extension at the right-hand end. The
main range consists of 3 rooms apparently with a passage running along their rear
and with the entrance through a lobby in front of the central axial stack - this is
unlikely to be an original arrangement but there may well have formerly been a
through-passage to one side of the stack. In the C19 the house was extended at the
left-hand end and this, with the small front wing here, now forms a separate
cottage. Probably in the C20 a passage and a doorway were inserted between the
original right-hand end of the house and the C18 addition adjoining it.
Exterior: 2 storeys. The main front is symmetrical of 3 bays with the outer 2
forming small hipped-roof wings, 1:2:1 windows. Those in the outer bays are 12-pane
sashes probably late C18 apart from the 1st floor right-hand one and those on the
inner face of that wing which are fascimiles. Otherwise late C18 tripartite 25-pane
sashes to central bay. All ground floor windows have brick arches above. Central
C19 doorhood supported on wooden brackets with early C19 6-panel door, now partly
glazed, below. Above window to left of door is date-stone of 1636 with plaque
inscribed A. H. and I. H. to either side.
1 window early - mid C19 addition at left-hand end, beyond wing, with 12-pane sash
windows. Lower roofed addition at right-hand end with late C20 2-light casement
above circa early C20 conservatory which has large open fronted porch to its left
with C20 glazed door behind.
Interior: inaccessible at time of survey and probably somewhat altered by a late
C20 modernisation but earlier features could be covered up and if so may be of quite
a high quality. Despite the apparent internal modernisation this house preserves a
very attractive facade which has not been marred by unsympathetic insertion of
modern windows.


Listing NGR: SS5074210268

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.