History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Langstone Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Brentor, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6217 / 50°37'18"N

Longitude: -4.1488 / 4°8'55"W

OS Eastings: 248092

OS Northings: 82422

OS Grid: SX480824

Mapcode National: GBR NW.B25D

Mapcode Global: FRA 276F.FHC

Entry Name: Langstone Manor

Listing Date: 21 March 1967

Last Amended: 7 November 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1104830

English Heritage Legacy ID: 92276

Location: Brentor, West Devon, Devon, PL19

County: Devon

District: West Devon

Civil Parish: Brentor

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Find accommodation in
Brentor

Listing Text

SX 48 SE BRENTOR

7/30 Langstone Manor
- (formerly listed as Langstone House)
21.3.67

GV II


Manor house, now in use as farmhouse. Late C16 origins, substantially rebuilt
extended 1907. Dressed stone, some masonry brought to course, granite and freestone
dressings. Roof of small slates with sprocketted eaves, gabled at ends, 1 wing with
half-hipped end. 6 brick stacks, square in section, with round-headed recesses and
moulded brick cornices. Some decorative slate-hanging in gables. The west front of
the house is E-plan, in the Elizabethan style and seems to preserve some original
work in situ, although the extent of the rebuilding is difficult to determine. The
rear is less archaeological, and consists of 4 irregular picturesque projections, 3
gabled and 1 half-hipped. The masonry of 1 rear projection is probably C16 or C17.
2 storeys. Symmetrical front with front projecting wings at left and right. Central
2 storey porch with string course and gabled sprocketted eaves to roof. Granite
doorway has segmental arch with keystone, arch carried on capitals supported on
moulded piers. Doorway has square-headed hoodmould and label stops, and may be n
reconstruction. First floor of porch has a 3-light mullioned window with leaded
panes under a hoodmould with label stops. Ogee-headed chamfered 1-light window in
porch gable. Ground floor windows to left and right of porch each a 4-light granite
mullioned window with king mullion, hoodmould and label stops, leaded panes. Similar
smaller 4-light windows to first floor, without king mullions. The north and south
front wings have similar 3 and 2-light mullioned windows, 2 with hoodmoulds raised
above the lintels were probably reconstructed in 1907. The north wing has a 1907
Tudor arched doorway under a hoodmould on the south side. The west gable end of the
north wing has 4 tall chamfered 1-light windows, 3 similar windows and one 2-light
mullioned window to the south wing. Elsewhere the house preserves 1907 fenestration;
1-, 2-, 3- and 4-light timber sashes, mostly with high transoms.
Interior 1 small room panelled throughout with bolection moulded panelling,
including cupboards on either side of a fireplace. 2 reconstructed Tudor chimney
pieces in the hall. Plaster ceilings with strapwork decoration of 1907. Some good
C18 and C19 doors. Langstone Manor was owned by Tavistock Abbey before the
Reformation. The house is said to have been damaged by fire at the end of the C19.


Listing NGR: SX4809282422

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.