History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Chapel Approximately 10 Metres South of Brightley Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Okehampton Hamlets, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7585 / 50°45'30"N

Longitude: -3.988 / 3°59'16"W

OS Eastings: 259874

OS Northings: 97316

OS Grid: SX598973

Mapcode National: GBR Q3.MFDZ

Mapcode Global: FRA 27J2.Q4T

Entry Name: Former Chapel Approximately 10 Metres South of Brightley Farmhouse

Listing Date: 22 February 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1105611

English Heritage Legacy ID: 94337

Location: Okehampton Hamlets, West Devon, Devon, EX20

County: Devon

District: West Devon

Civil Parish: Okehampton Hamlets

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Okehampton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Okehampton

Listing Text

OKEHAMPTON HAMLETS
SX 59 NE

4/94 Former Chapel approximately 10
- metres South of Brightley
Farmhouse

GV II

Outbuilding, reputedly formerly a chapel. Medieval, much altered probably in C19
and C20. Local stone rubble walls considerably heightened in brick. Gable ended
corrugated iron roof.
Plan: Single cell plan with original entrance in right gable end. Probably in C19
doorways were inserted on front and rear walls but the building is likely to have
ceased being a chapel long before this; in the C20 the roof was raised.
Single storey. Central cart entrance under a pentice roof supported on wooden posts
which extends along the front wall. Original doorway, now blocked, is in right
gable end and constructed of dressed granite voussoirs in a round-headed arch with
dressed granite jambs.
Interior: no original features survive and the roof structure is probably C20.
Brightley is the site of a religious house founded in 1133 by Richard Fitz Baldwin
and occupied by a superior and twelve monks who arrived from Waverley Abbey to build
a new monastery. They abandoned Brightly in 1141 and were given a new site at Ford
in East Devon which subsequently became Ford Abbey.
Source: W G Hoskins - Devon


Listing NGR: SX5987497316

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.