This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7587 / 50°45'31"N
Longitude: -3.988 / 3°59'16"W
OS Eastings: 259879
OS Northings: 97337
OS Grid: SX598973
Mapcode National: GBR Q3.MFDX
Mapcode Global: FRA 27J2.Q4Q
Plus Code: 9C2RQ256+FR
Entry Name: Brightley Farmhouse
Listing Date: 7 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1165598
English Heritage Legacy ID: 94336
Location: Okehampton Hamlets, West Devon, Devon, EX20
Civil Parish: Okehampton Hamlets
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Okehampton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 59 NE
4/93 Brightley Farmhouse
Unoccupied farmhouse. C17 with earlier origins, undergoing alterations at time of
survey, 1986. Local stone rubble walls with some cob in places under the eaves.
Gable ended asbestos slate roof. 2 rendered stone rubble stacks - one projects from
the left gable end, the other is axial and offset from the ridge with stone
Plan: 2 room plan probably with central through passage, left-hand room heated by
gable end stack, right-hand room heated by axial stack possibly with newel stairs in
slight projection to the front of it.
2 storeys. Asymmetrical front with 3 doorways - the central one to the putative
passage has good stone quoins to its left-hand side. To its right is shallow
rectangular projection possibly for a newel stairs. The windows have been removed
but there are openings above the central doorway and to the left of the left-hand
At the rear is blocked doorway at centre opposite front central doorway with window
opening to its right on each floor and narrower doorway to its left which contains
C17 wooden doorframe chamfered on the inside.
Interior 2 original roof trusses survive over the left-hand room which consist of
straight principal rafters with trenched purlins and collars which are halved on
with dovetail joints. Morticed apex and diagonal notched ridge. The gable end
fireplace has a high roughly chamfered wooden lintel and a cloam oven complete with
its door in the left-hand side. The axial fireplace has a wooden lintel with narrow
chamfer and run-out stops, a roughly chamfered granite jamb to the right and stone
jambs to the left.
Brightly is the site of a religious house founded in 1133 by Richard Fitz Baldwin
and occupied by a superior and twelve monks who arrived from Waverley Abbey to build
a new monastery. They abandoned Brightley in 1141 and were given a new site at Ford
in East Devon which subsequently became Ford Abbey.
Source: W G Hoskins - Devon
Listing NGR: SX5987997337
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings