History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sampford Manor and Attached Barn and Front Wall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sampford Spiney, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5336 / 50°32'0"N

Longitude: -4.0713 / 4°4'16"W

OS Eastings: 253300

OS Northings: 72469

OS Grid: SX533724

Mapcode National: GBR NZ.HQ33

Mapcode Global: FRA 27CN.7PG

Entry Name: Sampford Manor and Attached Barn and Front Wall

Listing Date: 21 March 1967

Last Amended: 23 January 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1105727

English Heritage Legacy ID: 94011

Location: Sampford Spiney, West Devon, Devon, PL20

County: Devon

District: West Devon

Civil Parish: Sampford Spiney

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Find accommodation in
Sampford Spiney

Listing Text

SAMPFORD SPINEY SAMPFORD SPINEY
SX 57 SW
7/113 Sampford Manor (formerly listed as
- Hall Farmhouse) and attached barn
21.3.67 and front wall

GV II*

Farmhouse and attached barn. Early C16, possibly incorporating earlier building,
refronted and altered 1607 (dated over front door), some C18 alterations, C19
internal alteration to C17 end room to right and insertion of stair, some C20
alterations including first floor dormer windows removed from Whimington Farmhouse
(qv); barn attached to front left, probably of late C17/early C19, incorporating
earlier materials; front wall and doorway reset, c. 1880, forming courtyard to front
of house. Granite and slatestone rubble, granite dressings, granite quoins, slate
roofs with granite ashlar end stack to right and rear lateral stacks with shaped caps
and cornices.
Originally 3-room and through passage plan, with wide passage, shippon to left, hall
and inner room to right. Remains of wall at shippon side of original passage
indicate that passage was not open to shippon. Alterations of 1607 formed new
entrance with lobby created in former hall, right end refronted and extended by one
bay toright. Original passage door remains as entry to shippon. Walls to right and
left of original inner room are of equal thickness. Rear wing of one-room plan,
unheated, with entry from original inner room, probably of late C17. The alterations
of 1607 included stacks, hall possibly floored at or shortly before this end.
Addition to right of 1607 was originally of one-room plan, heated by gable end stack.
This was divided c. mid C19 to form rear stair hall; site of earlier stair uncertain.
2 storey and 5-bay front has at ground floor 3 granite 3-light windows with hollow-
chamfered mullions and surrounds, hood-mould and C20 casements, to right a C20 4-pane
light, second from left a 4-centred arched roll-moulded doorway with frieze, RA 1607
CA (for Robert and C Atwell) with hood-mould with flowers on stops and foliage in
spandrels, first floor has 3 irregularly spaced gabled dormers each with single-light
granite casement, hollow-chamfered, with hood-mould and C20 glazing; dressed granite
quoins to left, rough-cut granite quoins to right at joint between original house and
end bay of 1607. Attached to front right a small gabled outhouse with flat-arched
opening at ground floor and single light in gable end with flat granite lintel and
slate cill, large quoins. Set back to left, former passage entry with granite
pointed arch, chamfered and step stopped, with 2 former lintels set in wall to left,
rebuilt wall at upper level, roof lower than main range, asbestos slate-hung gable
end of main range above. Lean-to in angle with front barn range, has roof missing.
Barn has 2 blocked ventilation slits to right, cart entry and 2 lower ventilation
slits to left, one with iron stanchion remaining. Front wall attached, runs about 5
metres in front of house, about 1½ metres high with granite coping, has off-centred
reset 4-centred arched granite doorway, roll-moulded with roundels in spandrels and
hood-mould, gable over with shield and initials JPH; reset round-arched granite
opening to left. At right end, attached outhouse has rear door and blank gable end;
gable end of main range has single hollow-chamfered granite light at ground and first
floor left, similar 2-light granite casement at first floor right, wall chamfered to
right. Lower 2-storey rear wing to right has no windows at right end, gable end has
low set 2-light window in C20 frame, inner side asbestos slate-hung with 2-light
casement at ground and first floor of 6-panes each light. Rear of main range has
gable, stack with fireplace and oven projections at base, C20 single light at first
floor right, single light in hollow-chamfered granite surround at upper level to
right, wall corbelled out to right, possible site of early stair; rear of lower end
has 4-centred arched plain granite opening, with small single-storey addition to
right, end wall rebuilt late C20 with ground floor 4-light and first floor 3-light
window. Shippon end has former wide opening, timber lintel remaining, to front,
visible internally, and small blocked opening under eaves. 4-bay C20 roof, formerly
had stream channelled in at rear wall. Rear gable end of barn has ventilation slit
at upper level, large granite quoins diminishing in size towards top; front gable end
has irregular segmental-headed granite openings at ground and first floor, probably
reset from earlier building, large ventilation slit at ground floor left and in gable
end; outer side of barn has granite segmental-headed doorway to left, irregularly
spaced ventilation slits; interior of barn has 6-bay C20 roof, splayed reveals to
openings.
Interior At front entry, doorway to right in granite, with 4-centred arch, roll-
moulded, with carved leaves in spandrels and step stops, no hood-mould, of 1607
alterations. Step up to room to right originally inner room, with 7 chamfered axial
beams to ceiling, fireplace to rear with flat granite lintel and upper timber lintel
extending through wall to former hall to left. Wall to room to left has keeping hole
and former doorway, blocked, with 4-centred arch, hollow-chamfered and step stopped,
in granite (formerly between hall and inner room); similar door to rear giving access
to rear wing, probably reused, and similar door to right to end room of 1607. End
room remodelled in mid-late C19, partition wall to rear dividing off rear dog-leg
stair, gable end fireplace in granite, segmental-headed, hollow-chamfered and roll-
moulded with leaves in spandrels. From former inner room, step down to former hall,
with slate floor and rear fireplace with cambered and chamfered granite lintel, cloam
oven to rear left, smoke chamber with granite walls to right; probably site of
original stair to left, now cupboard; end wall originally backing on to passage has 2
keeping holes, one with door with strap hinges, keeping hole also in wall to right.
Upper floors and roof not accessible, said to have plainer granite fireplace at first
floor gable end to right.


Listing NGR: SX5329972470

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.