This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7266 / 50°43'35"N
Longitude: -3.9125 / 3°54'44"W
OS Eastings: 265112
OS Northings: 93634
OS Grid: SX651936
Mapcode National: GBR Q7.8GS2
Mapcode Global: FRA 27P5.3LF
Plus Code: 9C2RP3GQ+M2
Entry Name: School and Master's House Including Playground and Garden Walls
Listing Date: 4 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106011
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95037
Location: South Tawton, West Devon, Devon, EX20
Civil Parish: South Tawton
Built-Up Area: South Zeal
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: South Tawton St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 6493-6593 SOUTH TAWTON SOUTH ZEAL
8/302 School and Master's House
including playground and garden walls
Board school and adjoining schoolmaster's house. Built in 1875 for 126 children;
the architect was Charles Pinn of Exeter. Ironstone/slate rubble with rock-faced
granite and Bathstone dressings. Slate roof with gabled ends and exposed rafter
ends. The central range has an asbestos slate roof.
Plan: long central range containing school rooms with a large school room cross-
wing at the left-hand end and the schoolmaster's house at the right-hand end of 2
short staggered parallel ranges with a porch in the outer right angle and a short
projecting wing at the front.
An unusual design in Romanesque and Italianate styles; a late use of these styles.
Exterior: single storey school and 2 storey masters house, Asymmetrical front
elevation. The single storey central range has 1, 2 and 3-light round-headed
windows with C19 horizontal pivot casements and a round-headed doorway to the right
with a C19 plank door with wrought iron hinges. To the left in the central range 2
C20 doorways flanking a C20 casement with a C20 lean-to canopy over on timber posts.
The principal feature of the building is the large cross-wing projecting at the
left-hand end which has a tripartite window with round-headed lights and an oval
panel above. The window is flanked by rusticated rock-faced granite buttresses, or
piers, with imposts and a large round arch in the gable above which rises to a
bellcot with 4 Norman style colonnettes with cushion capitals supporting a short
pyramidal stone spire with an ornate wrought iron weathervane at the apex. The
projecting verges of the cross-wing gable are supported on brackets and the corners
of the cross-wing have rusticated rock-faced granite quoins. The left-hand side of
the cross-wing has 4, 2-light round-headed windows symmetrically arranged.
At the right-hand end the schoolmaster's house has a short projecting wing at the
front with a C19 tripartite sash on the ground floor and a C19 4-pane sash above;
set back to the right a round-headed stair window. The porch, set back again in the
angle to the right also has a dressed Bathstone round arch. The later addition
above the porch is slate hung. The corners of the master's house also have rock-
faced granite quoins and continuous around the whole building there is a rock-faced
Including the playground area and garden wall along the front of the whole building;
it is coeval with the school; iron stone/slate rubble with rock-faced granite coping
and rock-faced granite monolithic gate-posts with round heads and wrought iron gates
with cast spear-head finials.
Interior: not inspected but it seems that the open roof of the hall in the cross-
wing has been ceiled. The cast-iron bell-frame and bell in the bellcot is intact.
Source: Kelly's Directory 1902, Devon C19 Church Project.
Listing NGR: SX6511293634
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings