This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7261 / 50°43'34"N
Longitude: -3.9129 / 3°54'46"W
OS Eastings: 265080
OS Northings: 93580
OS Grid: SX650935
Mapcode National: GBR Q7.8NLR
Mapcode Global: FRA 27P5.9D2
Entry Name: Chapel of St Mary Including Boundary Walls Adjoining to North West
Listing Date: 22 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1326105
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95034
Location: South Tawton, West Devon, Devon, EX20
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: South Tawton
Built-Up Area: South Zeal
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: South Tawton St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 6493-6593 SOUTH TAWTON SOUTH ZEAL
8/234 Chapel of St Mary including
22.2.67 boundary walls adjoining to north-
Chapel of Ease. Dated 1713 but probably C15 or C15 origins, thoroughly renovated in
1877. Coursed blocks of granite ashlar on granite boulder footings, granite ashlar
detail; slate roof.
Plan: small chapel built on a north-west south-east axis. Simple unaisled
structure, rectangular in plan with a bellcote over the north-west gable.
Exterior: doorway in centre of north-west end wall; a 2-centred, almost round-
headed, arch with chamfered surround. Directly above a painted C19 olockface. On
the gable here is the pretty bellcote, the only feature left which suggests a date
earlier than 1713. Built of granite ashlar it has a crenellated parapet with corner
pinnacles. Each side is a 2-bay arcade of low segmental arches and the corners are
carved like minature set back buttresses with weathered coping. Both gable ends
have shaped kneelers and coping. Both sides have 2-window fronts of C19 replacement
2-light windows; flat-topped, pointed arch heads and sunken spandrels. Taller 3-
light version on south-east end is original. Above it a plaque dated 1713 and above
that another dated 1877.
Interior is wholly the result of the C19 refurbishment; arch-braced truss roof and
plain pine fittings and furniture.
A narrow plot of ground at the north-west end is enclosed by C19 low rubble walls
with rusticated granite coping with iron railings and twisted standards set into the
top. Gateway has granite ashlar posts.
Some of the larger boulders in the footings are said to be a type of granite not
found locally and therefore some religious, even pre-Christian, significance has been attributed to them. According to the parish churchwardens accounts the place
was used as a school in 1773. The chapel occupies a prominent central position in
South Zeal which is a special settlement being one of the few medieval boroughs in
Devon where a significant number of its late-medieval houses survive to a greater or
Source: Devon SMR
Listing NGR: SX6508093580
Other nearby listed buildings