History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Linhay and Calf House 4 Metres South-West of West Fursham Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Cheriton Bishop, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7265 / 50°43'35"N

Longitude: -3.8221 / 3°49'19"W

OS Eastings: 271489

OS Northings: 93460

OS Grid: SX714934

Mapcode National: GBR QD.1FWD

Mapcode Global: FRA 27W5.2T2

Entry Name: Linhay and Calf House 4 Metres South-West of West Fursham Farmhouse

Listing Date: 4 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1106066

English Heritage Legacy ID: 94874

Location: Cheriton Bishop, Mid Devon, Devon, EX6

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Cheriton Bishop

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Drewsteignton

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Hittisleigh

Listing Text

SX 79 SW DREWSTEIGNTON

5/79 Linhay and calf house 4 metres
south-west of West Fursham
Farmhouse
GV II


Linhay and calf house. Probably C18, maybe late C17; small extension of 1839
according to date inscription. Mostly cob on stone rubble footings, C19 extension
of stone rubble, some patching of C20 concrete blocks; corrugated iron roof
(formerly thatch).
Plan and exterior description: long range facing onto former farmyard to north-west.
The main section to right is an 8-bay linhay, still mostly open-fronted.
Immediately left of this and separated by cob crosswall is a cartshed (an open bay)
then the calf house with a front doorway. At the left end the C19 extension
provides another cartshed with a full height doorway. The linhay is Alcock's linhay
type T1. The full height oak posts rest on granite pads. Large roughly-finished
crossbeams are notched into and tusk-tenoned through the posts. The top of the
posts clasp the outer principals of A-frame roof trusses with pegged and spiked lap-
jointed collars. The oak lintel of the calf house doorway is inscribed 1839. Roof
is gable-ended to right and hipped to left.


Listing NGR: SX7148993460

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.