This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9671 / 50°58'1"N
Longitude: -3.3289 / 3°19'44"W
OS Eastings: 306780
OS Northings: 119476
OS Grid: ST067194
Mapcode National: GBR LQ.MBH7
Mapcode Global: FRA 36XK.8Y1
Entry Name: Burrow Farmhouse and Adjoining Cottage
Listing Date: 17 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106449
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95937
Location: Holcombe Rogus, Mid Devon, Devon, TA21
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Holcombe Rogus
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Holcombe Rogus All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST 01 NE
5/87 Burrow Farmhouse and adjoining
Farmhouse. Probably C16 origins, rearranged and enlarged in the early C17. No work
can be seen associated with the datestone of 1743. Plastered stone rubble, probably
with cob; stone rubble stacks with plastered brick tops; concrete tile roof,
Plan and development: L-plan house. The main block faces south and has a 3-room
lobby entrance plan. The left (west) end room is the kitchen and it had a
projecting rear lateral stack but this has been blocked up and replaced by an end
stack. Large central room, the hall has an axial stack backing onto the kitchen and
newel stair turret projecting to rear. Lobby entrance between hall and kitchen in
front of the hall stack. The unheated left end room was originally divided into 2
by an axial division. The rear room was probably a dairy and the front one a lobby
connecting hall and parlour wing. The parlour wing projects forward at right angles
from the right (west) end. Originally there was only the parlour here and it had a
gable-end stack. This stack is now axial backing onto secondary extension which has
now been brought into domestic use.
Although direct evidence is inaccessible it seems likely that the main block began
as a C16 3-room-and-through-passage open hall house. However the present layout is
essentially the result of an extensive early C17 rebuilding. The west end (original
passage and service end room) was completely rebuilt as a kitchen at this time, the
hall was floored, the inner room and reorganised and parlour wing was added. The
parlour wing is now a self-contained cottage. House is 2 storeys throughout.
Exterior: the main block has irregular fenestration, 3 ground floor and 2 first
floor windows, all C20 casements and the latest ones without glazing bars. The
lobby entrance doorway contains a C20 door behind a contemporary gabled porch.
Above it is a Hamstone datestone inscribed RB 1743. Both wings are gable-ended.
The parlour wing has similar fenestration. The garage at the end of the crosswing
occupies a former horse engine house.
Good interior: is well-preserved. In the kitchen part of the chamfered oak lintel
of the original fireplace shows although the fireplace itself is blocked. The
ceiling structure has been replaced but the roof above is carried on an early C17
side-pegged jointed cruck truss. Early C17 oak Tudor arch doorway containing an
ancient studded plank door from kitchen to hall. In the hall the stone rubble
fireplace has a chamfered oak lintel. At the upper end a good early C17 oak plank-
and-muntin screen with moulded muntins. It contains a blocked original doorway at
the right end but the present left end doorway is made up of reused C17 moulded
timbers. The 3-bay ceiling is carried by richly-moulded and unstopped crossbeams.
Another oak Tudor arch to newel stair where the original stone steps are said to
remain under the timber treads. In the inner room the head beam survives from an oak
plank-and-muntin partition which has been removed and once divided it into two.
Another oak plank-and-muntin screen between inner room and parlour. The parlour has
a 6-panel intersecting beam ceiling with deep hollow-chamfered soffits. The
fireplace here was apparently blocked after its oak lintel caught fire. The roof
over hall and inner room end is inaccessible although the bases of side-pegged
jointed cruck trusses are exposed. They look different in character from the one
over the kitchen and may be C16. Roof over the parlour is inaccessible.
This is a well-preserved farmhouse and interesting for its early C17 layout. Burrow
is first mentioned in the 1333 Subsidy Roll as the home of Anestas atte Burghe.
Source: Devon SMR
Listing NGR: ST0678019476
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings