This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1471 / 51°8'49"N
Longitude: -3.9873 / 3°59'14"W
OS Eastings: 261094
OS Northings: 140522
OS Grid: SS610405
Mapcode National: GBR KT.85PZ
Mapcode Global: VH4ML.TFYJ
Entry Name: Arlington Court
Listing Date: 25 February 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106817
English Heritage Legacy ID: 96979
Location: Arlington, North Devon, Devon, EX31
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Arlington
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: East Down St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 64 SW
5/4 Arlington Court
Country house. Main range 1820 by Thomas Lee of Barnstaple, the staircase hall
altered and rear wing added in 1865. Ashlar, main range pointed. Slate roof of
main range concealed by low parapet and unmoulded cornice, rear ranges with slate
roofs, with 3 ridge stacks with panelled sides and moulded caps to the wing at right
angles to main range and 3 stone rubble ridge stacks to parallel rear range.
Main range consists of rectangular block with gallery extending whole length of the
garden (south) front, with folding screens to form 3 principal rooms, main entrance
hall to right (east side) leading into large central staircase hall; this was
enlarged in 1865 by demolishing the former staircase in the north-west corner and
absorbing 2 rooms each on the ground and first floors. Extending at right angles to
rear right-hand end of main range is the 1865 wing of 9 bays the furthest 4 bays
breaking forward slightly. At right angles to this, and parallel with the main
range is a further service wing creating an overall 3-sided rear courtyard plan.
Main range in severe neo-classical style with interior design heavily influenced by
Soane, in whose office Lee was for a short time employed.
Main range of 2 storeys with basement service rooms. Rear wings 2 storeys. Main
range, symmetrical with 5-bay garden front, 3 bays to left-hand return and right-
hand returning the entrance front. Giant angle Tuscan pilasters. All 12-paned
sashes to upper storey. French windows to ground floor except to centre of bay of
entrance front which has 1st floor French window with margin glazing bars over semi-
circular Greek Doric porch with 4 fluted columns supporting entablature and iron
balustrade. Door of 2 narrow panelled leaves and tall transomed overlight. Raised
terrace to front of garden and entrance front with banded rustication and
incorporating flights of stone steps to central bay of garden front and to entrance
doorway. To each side, the terrace wall is pierced by square openings with wrought
iron grilles lighting the basement. The 1885 range extending to right of entrance
front has plat-band and rusticated surrounds to segmental arched windows with 2 over
Arlington Court was built and owned by the Chichester family until 1949, when it was
bequeathed to the National Trust, whose guide 'Arlington Court' (1985) gives a full
interior description and see also John Cornforth 'Arlington Court, Devon', Country
Life, 30 April 1981.
Listing NGR: SS6109440522
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings