This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1467 / 51°8'48"N
Longitude: -3.9844 / 3°59'3"W
OS Eastings: 261295
OS Northings: 140480
OS Grid: SS612404
Mapcode National: GBR KV.80FB
Mapcode Global: VH4ML.WFHR
Plus Code: 9C3R42W8+M7
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 25 February 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106820
English Heritage Legacy ID: 96984
Location: Arlington, North Devon, Devon, EX31
District: North Devon
Town: North Devon
Civil Parish: Arlington
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: East Down St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 64 SW
5/9 Church of St. James
Parish Church. Late C15 or early C16 tower (no evidence of reputed rebuilding in
1899). The rest rebuilt in 1844 by R. D. Gould.
Stone rubble with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with apex crosses to the coped
West tower, nave, chancel and south transept.
Tall west tower of 3 stages, embattled parapet with crocketted pinnacles. Set back
buttresses with cusped niches to top stages. Stone quatrefoils built into 2
buttresses at west end. Polygonal stair turret at north-west corner. Perpendicular
2-light bell-openings on each face with louvres. Trefoil-headed niches to middle
stage on north and south sides. C19 Perpendicular style pointed-arched west window
of 3 lights with hoodmould corbelled out with busts bearing shields. Straight-
headed west doorway with quatrefoils to the spandrels and moulded surround to
pointed arched doorway with engaged shafts. The hoodmould is carried as a string
round the buttresses. C19 Perpendicular style pointed arched windows of 3 lights
flanking south transept which has niche above 2-light Perpendicular window over
doorway with moulded surround and human head corbels to the hoodmould. 2 C19
Perpendicular 2-light windows to chancel flanking priests door. 4-light
Perpendicular style east window with pointed arched hoodmould. 2-light chancel
window on north side and east vestry window of 2 trefoil-headed lights. Four C19
Perpendicular style 3-light windows with intermediate buttresses to north side of
Interior: plain C19 interior. Arch braced roofs to nave and chancel tower and
transeptal arched have blind cusped headed panels to the soffits. C19 stone
reredos, double sedilia, communion rails, choir stalls and patterned tiled floor.
Tall timber wine-glass pulpit with access from vestry only. Octagonal bowl to C19
font with ogee cover incorporating old belfry timber, the latter presented in 1914.
Monuments: late C14 effigy, reputedly Thomasine Raleigh in recess to north side of
chancel. Also on north side, wall monument to Rev. Gascoigne Canham (d.1667).
Broken pediment on which cherubs recline flanking achievement. Corinthian
colonnettes, skull to base. To right wall monument to Louis Chichester (d.1858) by
E J Physick. Nave south side wall monument to Edward Bampfield (d.1719); John
Meadows, Architect of St Johns, Westminster (d.1791) with verse (Meadows designed
the ill-fated house erected prior to the present Arlington Court (q.v.) which stood
only for some 30 years); and to members of Chichester family. North side, Mary Anne
Chichester (d.1858) and to Sir Alexander Chichester (d.1881) both by E J Physick of
London; William Bampfield, Rector (d.1719). Broken pediment with large reclining
cherubs flanking central torch. In west tower, large elaborate marble wall monument
by Moore and Smith of London to Mary Ann Chichester (d.1791). Below slabs to John
Chichester (d.1644) and Robert Chichester (d.1622) with C19 facsimiles and C17 stone
slab to Harris family with verse.
Stained glass: east window in memory of Rev. James Chichester (d.1884) and to each
side of chancel to Major George Chichester (d.1876) on north and Robert Chichester
(d.1883). Richly coloured Chichester memorial west window, the other lights
replaced with plain glass.
Listing NGR: SS6129540480
Other nearby listed buildings