This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.928 / 50°55'40"N
Longitude: -3.7535 / 3°45'12"W
OS Eastings: 276864
OS Northings: 115746
OS Grid: SS768157
Mapcode National: GBR L4.PYRL
Mapcode Global: FRA 360N.CJ8
Entry Name: Rackleigh Farmhouse
Listing Date: 3 October 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107336
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97431
Location: East Worlington, North Devon, Devon, EX17
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: East Worlington
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: West Worlington
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
EAST WORLINGTON RACKLEIGH LANE
SS 71 NE
Farmhouse. Probably early C16, remodelled in circa mid C17, C18, C19 and C20
alterations and additions. Cob and rubble, predominantly rendered and colourwashed;
slate roof, 3 brick ridge stacks.
Plan: originally a 3-room and through- or cross-passage plan, the lower end to the
right. At least the hall of the original house was open to the roof the hall may have
been heated by an open hearth fire, in which case the axial stack at its lower end
would have been a C16 improvement before the floor was inserted in the mid C17.
Alternatively the open hall never had an open hearth and was heated from this stack
from the beginning. In either case the floor is an insertion, the evidence for
which is the high corbelled fireplace lintel which contrasts with the mid C17 moulded
ceiling beam of the hall. The lower end has a gable end stack, but the inner room
remained unheated. In the C18 a staircase was inserted into the passage and the roof
was entirely replaced. There is now a direct entry at the front into the inner
room. There are some C19 alterations, particularly the front elevation and a range
of outshuts at the back. The inner room is now the kitchen, and the lower end room
fireplace is blocked. In the mid C20 the lower right end was extended a large
Exterior: 2 storeys, 5 windows, asymmetrical front, C19 casements with close-set
glazing bars. 2 door openings, plank doors, to right opening onto former through-
passage, to left inserted into inner room.
Interior: with plank and muntin partition between hall and inner room, approximately
1500 with chamfered muntins and head rail with mason's mitres, high stops, fitted
C19 bench replacing an earlier bench, doorway with chamfered surround and a
depressed arch head. Hall ceiling later, probably circa 1650, ovolo-moulded cross
ceiling beams, with ogee- and thumbnail-stops. Hall fireplace with simple chamfered
corbelled lintel. S, probably inserted; simple inner room with single chamfered
later ceiling beam. Former kitchen also with chamfered cross ceiling beam; the
fireplace in this room completely blocked, C20 brick grate inserted. Hall with
hammered earth floor.
Roof: collar-beam roof appears to have been replaced in the early C18, lapped joints
pegged and nailed.
Listing NGR: SS7686415746
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings