This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9327 / 50°55'57"N
Longitude: -3.7409 / 3°44'27"W
OS Eastings: 277759
OS Northings: 116243
OS Grid: SS777162
Mapcode National: GBR L5.PG46
Mapcode Global: FRA 361M.Y52
Plus Code: 9C2RW7M5+3J
Entry Name: Horseford Farmhouse
Listing Date: 19 April 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325450
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97410
Location: East Worlington, North Devon, Devon, EX17
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: East Worlington
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: East Worlington
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 71 NE
Farmhouse. Circa 1500, remodelled circa 1600, extended later in C17, low end
rebuilt early C19. Rubble and cob, rendered and colourwashed; left half with slate
roof, right half with hipped thatched roof, stacks with C19 brick shafts.
Plan and development: originally a 3-room and through-passage plan, the lower end to
the left including the passage was entirely rebuilt in the early C19 creating a wide
stairhall in place of the passage and a parlour at the left end. At least the hall
of the original house was open to the roof but because of limited access to the roof
it is uncertain whether the inner room was also open and divided from the hall by a
low partition. Circa 1600 the hall and probably the inner room were floored and a
lateral stack inserted at the front of the hall. The gable end stack of the inner
room is probably of this date. Later in C17 a dairy wing was built on the back of
the inner room. Lower end substantially altered early C19.
Exterior: Early C19 2-window left-hand end with sash windows of 4 and 12 panes. To
right a 2-window range with the large lateral rubble stack of the hall; windows to
earlier part with 3-light C19 casements with close-set glazing bars. Right return
with projecting gable end stack of the inner room. 3-light chamfered wooden-
mullioned window to the rear on first floor. 2 front door openings, to right into
early C19 portion with half-glazed door, also door opening inserted into the upper
room, plank door.
Interior with the inner room, now a kitchen, with central chamfered and stepped-
stopped axial ceiling beam, blocked fireplace, with a wooden bressumer, adjacent to
fireplace winder staircase with wood threads. Doorway from inner room to hall with
a heavy chamfered wooded frame with semi-circular head, shouldered mortice and
tenoned joints each with 2 wooden pegs; central hall with C18 cupboard and door,
fireplace blocked. Early C19 part of the house with contemporary joinery including
doors and staircase.
Roof: early part of the house with a 2-bay smoke-blackened roof, raised crucks
over the hall; 2 trusses with morticed apexes, morticed cambered collars, 2 rows of
continuous trenched purlins, diagonally-set ridge, full set of smoke-blackened
Listing NGR: SS7775916243
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings