This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3097 / 50°18'34"N
Longitude: -3.8786 / 3°52'42"W
OS Eastings: 266328
OS Northings: 47215
OS Grid: SX663472
Mapcode National: GBR Q9.9ZB7
Mapcode Global: FRA 28R6.YK9
Entry Name: The Old Chapel Inn
Listing Date: 26 January 1967
Last Amended: 18 February 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108104
English Heritage Legacy ID: 99614
Location: Bigbury, South Hams, Devon, TQ7
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Bigbury
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bigbury St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
1307/5/22 ST ANN'S CHAPEL
26-JAN-67 THE OLD CHAPEL INN
(Formerly listed as:
ST ANN'S CHAPEL
The Pickwick Inn)
(Formerly listed as:
ST ANN'S CHAPEL
THE HARE AND HOUNDS)
An inn of the early-C19, incorporating remains of a C15 chapel and a house of C17 or C18 date.
MATERIALS: Lime washed rubble walling, possibly including some cob, with a hipped roof of asbestos tiles and some plain clay tiles.
PLAN: The southern road front is of early-C19 date and rectangular. Attached to this are two northern wings, being the chapel and outbuildings, which are clustered around a small courtyard. The building has two and three storeys and a cellar.
EXTERIOR: The early-C19 southern road front has three, symmetrical bays with a hipped roof. At the centre is the doorway with a flat porch, supported on iron brackets. The plank door is C20. Above this is a blind panel. At either side on both floors are sash windows of 16 panes. The east flank of the C19 block has a 16-pane sash to the ground floor with two casements above this. There is a large eaves chimney stack with chamfered corners and offsets. To the north of this the wing has a deep-set casement in a former through-way and a door set between two casements. Above this the first floor has a two-light casement and a single-light casement with a blocked window, and the second floor has blocked lights. The western flank of the main block has a large plank door and two, low, deep buttresses to the flank of the chapel. The chapel is lit by a large, C20 dormer. The service rooms of the inn form an L-shaped wing which surrounds a small courtyard to the west of the inn which is separated from the road by a low wall.
INTERIOR: The chapel has a five-bay, arch-braced barrel roof with one moulded purlin with hollows and bowtell and a brattished plate. There is a fireplace beneath the former altar. An C18 cupboard surround has fluted pilasters and a key frieze. There are C18 fielded doors. The former chapel is now a bedroom, but retains its historical importance and enough of the fabric to be still recognisable.
HISTORY: The inn was at one time known as the Hare and Hounds, and then as the Pickwick Inn. The Ordnance Survey map of 1886 indicates that part of the service range was formerly a smithy.
REASON FOR DESIGNATION
The Old Chapel Inn, St Ann's Chapel, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural: the front range of the inn retains its attractive, symmetrical front range.
* Historical interest: the building also contains the remains of a C15 chapel and a C17 or C18 houses, as well as the C19 front range.
* Intactness: The chapel retains sufficient of its fabric for its original function to still be legible.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings