This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.3047 / 50°18'16"N
Longitude: -3.872 / 3°52'19"W
OS Eastings: 266786
OS Northings: 46642
OS Grid: SX667466
Mapcode National: GBR QB.J73Y
Mapcode Global: FRA 28S7.7CC
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 26 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325078
English Heritage Legacy ID: 99592
Location: Bigbury, South Hams, Devon, TQ7
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Bigbury
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bigbury St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 64 NE
Church of St Lawrence
Anglican parish church. C14 and C15 but '... all but rebuilt by J Sedding in
1872' (Pevsner). Rubble stone, slate roofs to coped gables. Nave, chancel,
north aisle, south transept, south porch, west tower with spire. Tower has
diagonal buttresses to three offsets; C19 west door under 3-light Perpendicular
window, ringing chamber slit above. Rendered crenellations, octagonal rubble
spire. Salt side has slate steps to ringers' door. Nave, south, 2-light
Perpendicular, porch with 4-centred door in square label, 2-light Perpendicular,
and a 3-light reticulated on east return to transept. Chancel has two 2-light
C14 type and 3-light east window with cinquefoil in circle in tracery, angle
buttresses, north wall plain. East end of north aisle with 3-light Perpendic-
ular, north wall has three 2-light as south wall of nave; 3-light to west end.
Plinth, except to north aisle. Interior: limewashed walls, tiled floors, 3-bay
nave arcade to four shafts separated by wave mould; an extra bay from chancel,
but wide pier, arcade 2 hollows and half-round mould. C19 barrel roof to nave,
ceiled, with ribs and bosses to chancel, which is continuous with nave; unceiled
barrel north aisle, flat panelled to south transept. In chancel C14 piscina and
ogee-headed sedilia; opposite is tomb recess with moulded arch including C14
'wave' head. Broad squint from south transept, which has ogee-headed piscina.
Tower arch glazed in. Fittings: C19 pews, good eagle lectern from Ashburton by
Thomas Prideaux c.1510; pulpit, medieval, also from Ashburton, chalice foot,
panels with ogee arches. Octagonal granite font on 4 square piers, good timber
cover. Early C15 de Bikebury brass, and slate slab on transept wall to 'John
and Jane Peirce', 1589 and 1612. In the north aisle are remains of the village
stocks. Information in the church refers to the 1872 restoration, which cost a
total of £1750-8-1 including £90-12-0; it also records the moving of the main
approach from the west to the east end.
(Pevsner, N, South Devon, 1952).
Listing NGR: SX6678646642
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings