This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1759 / 53°10'33"N
Longitude: -1.247 / 1°14'49"W
OS Eastings: 450428
OS Northings: 364572
OS Grid: SK504645
Mapcode National: GBR 8DQ.X4K
Mapcode Global: WHDFR.TFDN
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 8 July 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108926
English Heritage Legacy ID: 79307
Location: Pleasley, Bolsover, Derbyshire, NG19
Civil Parish: Pleasley
Built-Up Area: Mansfield
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Pleasley St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Derby
This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 02/01/2017
SK 56 SW, 11/138
PARISH OF PLEASLEY,
CHURCH LANE (West Side)
Church of St Michael
(Formerly listed as located in Church Street)
Parish church. C12, C13, C14 and C19. Coursed squared sandstone with sandstone
dressings. Welsh slate roofs, stone coped gables and moulded kneelers. West tower,
nave with south porch, and chancel with north vestry. The tower has a moulded plinth
and diagonal buttresses with three set-offs. Two unequal stages. To the south three
small slits light the staircase. Rectangular louvred opening with chamfered surround.
To the west is a blocked four-centred arched doorway and a four-centred arched
3-light window of three cusped lancets and with a concave surround. The lower stage
is blind on the north side. Bell stage separated by moulded string course. Two-light
bell-openings on all sides have cusped lights and a low cusped arch rising from the
apexes of the lower lights. Pair of gargoyles to north and south. Battlements and
four crocketted pinnacles. The north side of the nave has three heavy buttresses
linked by a chamfered string course. Two plain lancets with hoodmoulds. Blocked
lancet-shaped doorway. C20 vestry block not of special interest. The east wall of
the chancel has a 2-light window with Y-tracery. Hoodmould. South elevation of the
chancel of two bays, with two heavy buttresses with between them a tomb recess which
has a chamfered coping and blocked segmental arch with hoodmould. C19 2-light
window above with bar tracery. To the left a 2-light window with cusped tracery and
a priests doorway with moulded arch and hoodmould with C19 foliage stops. The nave
has a taller buttress with two set-offs, then a 2-light window with Y-tracery,
hoodmould and headstops. Broad gabled porch with stone slate roof. Broad entrance
with chamfered depressed pointed arch, impost slabs and hoodmould. Pair of C20
doors. To the left of the porch is a C19 plain lancet, a buttress with two
set-offs, and a window with Y-tracery and hoodmould on head-stops. Further buttress
with two set-offs.
INTERIOR: C12 chancel arch with double billet frieze on the label
and two roll mouldings in the arch. C12 font with figures carved in relief.
Chamfered tower arch, the inner chamfered order on corbels. C19 roofs. The C19
chancel south window is internally shafted and panelled to form a sedilia.
Mid-Victorian stained glass in the east window. C19 reading desk with earlier carved
panel incorporated, possibly of European origin. Jacobean style pulpit from Derby
cathedral. Wooden eagle lectern. Second font (under the tower); plain octagonal bowl
with carved underside, dated 1662.
Listing NGR: SK5042864572
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings