This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2857 / 53°17'8"N
Longitude: -1.2134 / 1°12'48"W
OS Eastings: 452540
OS Northings: 376818
OS Grid: SK525768
Mapcode National: GBR MZZF.3W
Mapcode Global: WHDF6.BNGY
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 14 November 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108939
English Heritage Legacy ID: 79340
Location: Whitwell, Bolsover, Derbyshire, S80
Civil Parish: Whitwell
Built-Up Area: Whitwell
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Whitwell St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 57 NW PARISH OF WHITWELL HIGH STREET
2/171 (South Side)
14.11.69 The Old Rectory
Rectory, now a private house. 1885 by J.L. Pearson, for the Rev. George Mason.
Coursed squared sandstone with sandstone dressings and decorative tile hanging.
Hipped, gabled and gambrel plain tile roof of irregular outline and with prominent
ridge and lateral stacks. Two storeys and attics. Irregular plan and elevations.
Intermittent first floor band and ground floor sill band. North elevation of six
bays. Off-centre gabled porch bay has a gothic doorway with double-chamfered
surround and hoodmould. Single light transomed window in the return walls. To the
right is a C20 garage door, an external chimney flank and a stone cross window. The
first floor has from left to right, a cross window, a 4-light mullioned and transomed
staircase window, two more cross windows, and a 3-light mullioned and transom window.
Three gables above with a small square window over the porch, and two 3-light
mullioned windows. East elevation has to the ground floor a square bay window of 1-
5-1 lights, with a transom; and to the right a 5-light mullioned and transom window.
The first floor has from left to right, a 4-light mullioned and transom window, two
single light windows and a cross window. Hipped roof above, rising to a tile-hung
gable with a 5-light window. The south elevation is of six irregular bays. At the
right-hand end is a bold external stack. To the left a lean-to 3-light bay window.
Three-light mullion and transom window above, asymmetrically placed. To the left is
a full height canted bay of 2-3-2 lights and with tile hanging between the windows.
To the left again is a gothic doorway and a window, beneath a gabled bay. Two-light
staircase window above, with two transoms, and, placed slightly higher to the left, a
cross window. A 3-light mullioned window in the gable. Projecting bay to the left
has a 4-light window to each floor, the upper one with a transom. A buttress at the
end of this bay and a further single light window, set back, beyond. Some windows
have leaded lights. The interior has a two storey staircase hall with closed string
staircase with short turned balusters. Four and six-panelled doors with brass
push/pull handles. Rococo fireplace in the drawing room made by the Coalbrookdale
company in 1856. Sources:A.Quiney 'John Loughborough Pearson' Yale 1979 pp96, 175,
Listing NGR: SK5254076818
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings