This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3314 / 53°19'53"N
Longitude: -1.6508 / 1°39'3"W
OS Eastings: 423349
OS Northings: 381670
OS Grid: SK233816
Mapcode National: GBR JYXX.DH
Mapcode Global: WHCCN.MJ2D
Entry Name: Hathersage Hall
Listing Date: 29 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1109807
English Heritage Legacy ID: 81197
Location: Hathersage, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, S32
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Hathersage
Built-Up Area: Hathersage
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Hathersage St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 23 81 PARISH OF HATHERSAGE SCHOOL LANE
29.9.51 Hathersage Hall
Small country house. Dated 1496, but mainly late C16 and mid C18, incorporating
earlier fragments and with a major remodelling c1830. Ashlar and coursed squared.
gritstone, with quoins, moulded eaves cornice, coped gables with moulded kneelers,
mostly c19 and intermediate and gable end stacks, mainly with moulded caps.
'Stone slated roof coverings. Irregular plan, the earliest phase being apparently
the present stair tower which adjoins a larger C17 tower, to which was added a
mid C18 range to the south west, and the present front, c1830, possibly a
remodelling of an earlier range. Tower and stair tower; cross roofed tower
with shouldered gables, of three storeys and with a basement. North east elevation;
originally with pairs of chamfer mullioned and transomed windows beneath a
continuous stepped stringcourse, now with C18 glazing bar sashes except at
basement level, where 2-light chamfer mullioned windows survive. In the gable
apex beneath a stepped hoodmould, a square plaque with an oval inset dated 1496.
Attached to the tower, and now within the body of the house, a C17 or earlier
stair tower, the north east elevation of which is of three storeys, below a
moulded stringcourse, and a C17 crenellated ashlar parapet with moulded merlons.
The ground floor has become a basement below a later flagged courtyard, the
present ground floor doorway having a chamfered quoined surround, and a Tudor
arched head with a massive lintel below a stepped hoodmould. The moulding is
continuous above a tall, hollow chamfer mullioned 2-light window to the north east
of the doorway. The first floor has a C19 single light window with a chamfered
surround and leaded lights beneath a hoodmould and, just above, a C17 single
light opening with a plain surround Service range to rear, north west elevation
Two storeys, three bays, generally with sash windows set in flush stone surrounds.
Two sashes retain glazing bars, Central ground floor window opening of 3-lights
with flush mullions and surround. Lower single bay extension to south west end.
Principal range; south east elevation, Two storeys, five bays, ashlar front with
roof hipped at south west end. Severely plain elevation with sash windows set into
ashlar walling without surrounds. First floor cill band and moulded eaves.
Doorway, off-centre, between fourth and fifth bays, with attached tapering square
pillars supporting plain frieze with moulded cornice above. Six panelled door.
Interior; full height C17 turned baluster staircase to stair tower, also moulded
stone doorcase into tower from staircase. First floor room in tower has moulded
plaster ceiling, c1630, and reminiscent of C17 plasterwork at Renishaw Hall.
The ceiling is divided into square panels with alternating square and diamond
motifs. Moulded stone doorcase in tower, and two C17 hearths, one later, with
elaborately moulded surround.
Listing NGR: SK2334981670
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings