This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4397 / 51°26'22"N
Longitude: -1.9275 / 1°55'39"W
OS Eastings: 405132
OS Northings: 171190
OS Grid: SU051711
Mapcode National: GBR 3V8.RGT
Mapcode Global: VHB43.J2VN
Entry Name: Combined Officers Mess and Offices, Yatesbury Airfield
Listing Date: 29 June 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1109947
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469444
Location: Cherhill, Wiltshire, SN11
Civil Parish: Cherhill
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Compton Bassett St Swithin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SU07SE COMPTON BASSETT JUGGLERS LANE
1385/10/10010 Combined Officers' mess
and offices, Yatesbury
Combined Officers' Mess and Offices. 1936. Architect Cecil Jones. Rendered brick with steel-framed windows and flat roofs. Square plan, with offices for the chief flying instructor, time-keeper, and pilots' changing-rooms all located on the south-east aerodrome elevation, with a billiards room and a mess/ante-room for use of the instructors and officer pupils face a garden front on the southwest side. The garden front is marked by a taller projecting block to centre, with small-paned windows set in four recessed semi-circular arches with fanlights and linking impost courses. Plat band is linked to flanking ranges with projecting end blocks, with flat arches over similar windows and plain rendered surround to right-hand doorway. Airfield elevation (to south east) has plat band linking four projecting canted bay windows, arranged in pairs and flanking centres window. Flat arches over windows to north- east and north-west elevations, the latter with rendered surround to two door openings. Interior has lost much original detail, but has retained half-glazed doors set in moulded wood architraves in hallway (opening out to garden front).
HISTORY: This was the architectural highlight of the civilian flying training school opened1936 and operated by the Bristol Aeroplane Company, under contract to the Air Ministry. During the 1930s expansion of the RAF, preliminary training was contracted out to private firms. The complex was praised by Flight magazine (in 1936) as 'a model school whose pattern few will equal an none better', and its crisp modern style makes it the most distinguished example associated with a purpose-built Elementary and Reserve Flight Training Station.
Listing NGR: SU0513871180
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings