This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4406 / 51°26'26"N
Longitude: -1.9266 / 1°55'35"W
OS Eastings: 405199
OS Northings: 171289
OS Grid: SU051712
Mapcode National: GBR 3V8.RQ5
Mapcode Global: VHB43.K1CZ
Plus Code: 9C3WC3RF+69
Entry Name: Two Former Hangars on North Side of Former Airfield
Listing Date: 25 November 1987
Last Amended: 29 June 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1283146
English Heritage Legacy ID: 316299
Location: Cherhill, Wiltshire, SN11
Civil Parish: Cherhill
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Compton Bassett St Swithin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
COMPTON BASSETT YATESBURY
SU 07 SE
1385/10/287 Two former hangars on north
side of former airfield
Two aircraft hangars. 1916. Timber-framed with corrugated iron cladding and tarred roofing felt to curved and boarded roofs. Each of rectangular plan, with full-width doors to gable ends and roofs of 80 feet span, with lean-tos to north sides comprising office, store, dressing room and heating chamber. Small paned iron windows on south side, eight to western hangar, seven to eastern hangar. Iron door gantries and corrugated iron doors date from refurbishment of 1936. INTERIORS: retain original roof structures. The larger span of 80 feet was achieved with laminated timber trusses incorporating a polygonal upper chord and a main tie-beam that relied structurally on an assembly of vertical iron tie rods (tension) and timber diagonal compression struts. The upper chord is made from eight lengths of timber giving the truss a roughly curved shape. Each length is made from a laminate of three, 8-inch by 2-inch pieces of timber bolted together and joined by "Y"-shaped steel plates. One arm of the "Y" connected with the diagonal struts. Lateral stiffness and resistance to movement is achieved by longitudinal beams. Laminated wall posts spaced at ten feet centres support each truss, are arranged in 17 bays.
HISTORY: The timber-framed and clad doors in six leaves originally opened full width into cross-braced timber gantries located on either side of the end elevations. Wall cladding could either be in the form of felted timber, corrugated iron or cement-rendered "Hy-Rib" expanded metal sheeting.
Yatesbury opened in November 1916 as a Training Depot Station with two separate aerodromes, each to house two Royal Flying Corps reserve squadrons for the training of pilots. A unique survival of a First World War RFC airfield with servicing and accommodation hangars.
Listing NGR: SU0519971289
Other nearby listed buildings