This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5135 / 51°30'48"N
Longitude: -0.1712 / 0°10'16"W
OS Eastings: 526998
OS Northings: 180981
OS Grid: TQ269809
Mapcode National: GBR 5C.RM
Mapcode Global: VHGQY.Z7B3
Entry Name: Victoria Public House
Listing Date: 10 April 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1109949
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469446
Location: Westminster, London, W2
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: Hyde Park
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St John Evan Hyde Park Crescent
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2680 NW
STRATHEARN PLACE, W2
No.10A, Victoria Public House
Public House, c.1840-50, the interior much remodelled c.1897-8, with embellishment 1955-8 particularly to upper rooms perhaps by Bryan and Nonnan Westwood. Stuccoed brick, slate roofs.
Rounded frontage on acutely angled corner site, four storeys high plus basement, with two further bays to Strathearn Place and one to Sussex Place. The exterior with high parapet and moulded bands. The upper floors have twelve-light glazing bar sashes in moulded architrave surrounds, save for that in the first-floor bow, which is tripartite with brackets and an ironwork balcony. Similar style windows to ground-floor bars. Cast-iron spearhead railings.
Interiors. The long, narrow bar was originally divided into a corner snug at its Sussex Place end, of which partition a fragment remains. The other areas formed two semi-defined lounges, all set around a long counter with original pilastered front, frieze (painted with scenes of Queen Victoria's life, including her Diamond Jubilee) supported on columns. Bar back with columns and cornice, continued on former public side as walling with elaborate decorative glass. Other walls with dado panelling, inset above which are prints and tiles. Saloon on Stratheam Place side with corner cupboards either side of elaborate fireplace and overrmantle mirror with foliate decoration. Corner area adapted as Saloon 1955, when neo-Adamesque fireplace installed.
On the first floor, Theatre Bar installed c.1958 from Shaw, Runtz and Ford's Gaiety Theatre (1902-3, demolished). Balcony fronts supported on Corinthian columns line the walls. Cornr counter set with boards from the shows, one signed Westwood Brothers suggesting that Bryan and Nonnan Westwood (working nearby at the time) may have been the architects for the installation. Bar back depicts the Gaiety .Two small box fronts in corners. Dining room adapted after 1955 in neo-Queen Anne style, with panelling, fireplace and corner cupboards decorated with swags. These fittings may well also come from the Gaiety.
The Victoria, Stratheam Place is of interest as a remarkably complete public house interior of the 1890s, to which the identified embellishments from the much lamented Gaiety Theatre add interest, both in their own right and as a rare surviving indication of the interest in Victoriana, particularly as expressed in pub interiors, that was beginning to emerge in the late 1950s.
Listing NGR: TQ2699880981
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings