History in Structure

593 and 594 Hammond Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Mappowder, Dorset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.8537 / 50°51'13"N

Longitude: -2.3784 / 2°22'42"W

OS Eastings: 373462

OS Northings: 106090

OS Grid: ST734060

Mapcode National: GBR 0XV.KHD

Mapcode Global: FRA 56XV.18Q

Plus Code: 9C2VVJ3C+FM

Entry Name: 593 and 594 Hammond Street

Listing Date: 20 December 1983

Last Amended: 20 March 2017

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1110475

English Heritage Legacy ID: 102582

ID on this website: 101110475

Location: Mappowder, Dorset, DT10

County: Dorset

Civil Parish: Mappowder

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Mappowder St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Tagged with: Building

Find accommodation in
Haselbury Bryan


Pair of former estate cottages, mid-C19, with late-C20 and early-C21 extensions and some alterations. The extensions are not included in the listing.


Pair of former estate cottages, mid-C19, with late-C20 and early-C21 extensions and some alterations. The extensions are not included in the listing.

MATERIALS: the earliest part of the building is constructed of cut and squared limestone rubble brought to course under a hipped roof of plain tiles with a central chimneystack to the ridge. The various modern extensions are mostly of matching materials and are not of special interest.

PLAN: originally rectangular on plan. Each semi-detached cottage is of two bays and had a two-room plan to which a single-storey rear addition was later added. Rear extensions to each cottage and a side addition to No.594 have been added in the late C20 and early C21.

EXTERIOR: the front, roadside (W) elevation with ground-floor openings under segmental stone arches. Each cottage as an entrance with early-C21 plank door and a two-light timber window to the ground floor and two timber first-floor windows; those to the right-hand half (No.593) are of early-C21 date. To the side (N) return of No.594 is a modern timber window under a concrete lintel, while the modern window in the S return of No.593 has a segmental stone lintel. The extensions mask the other elevations of the original building.

INTERIOR: No.594: the entrance door opens into a room with large fireplace with a chamfered timber bressumer and the remains of a bread oven. The position of the original staircase (not extant) is marked by a slight changing in ceiling height to the side of the chimneybreast. A plank, ledge and brace door connects through to a smaller room, and a doorway from this room, originally leading to the rear of the cottage, has a pegged timber surround. The first floor is now accessed from stairs in the rear extension. No historic features are evident in the two first-floor rooms in the original cottage, but the mid-C19 pegged roof timbers survive. These comprise principal rafters, with a collar to the central truss, and single rows of staggered purlins. No.593 not inspected internally (2016), but it is understood that the ground-floor partition between the two rooms has been removed and that the first-floor partition has been re-sited.

Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’) it is declared that the late-C20 and early-C21 extensions, the detached garage to No.593 are not of special architectural or historic interest.


Until 1863 the Mappowder estate was owned by the Spencer family who sold the estate, together with their house Mappowder Court, to the Wingfield Digby family of Sherborne. Nos. 593 and 594 Hammond Street are part of a group of paired estate cottages situated on either side of the road as it enters the village that provided workers’ accommodation. They date probably from the mid-C19 or slightly earlier, and the Census of 1891 records that most of the dwellings in the village were occupied by farm labourers. The estate was sold to Arthur Hugh Clough at the beginning of the First World War and it was farmed by his nephew John Fisher until 1947, although some of the estate was sold in the depression the mid-1930s.

When built Nos.593 and 594 Hammond Street each had a two-room ground-floor plan to which a single-storey rear extension containing a kitchen and bathroom was added at a later date. Both cottages have been extended to the rear in the late C20 and early C21 respectively, replacing the earlier rear additions. In c.2004 a single-storey extension was built on the side (N) of No.594 and it also has a timber conservatory to the rear.

Reasons for Listing

Nos.593 and 594 Hammond Street in Mappowder, a pair of mid-C19 cottages, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural interest: a pair of cottages built for farm labourers and their families which has a modest, yet distinctive character and represents a legible example of Victorian estate architecture;
* Historic interest: as part of a planned group of similar estate cottages in the village, of which five have been listed at Grade II.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.