History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II Listed Building in Loughton, Essex

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.6485 / 51°38'54"N

Longitude: 0.0788 / 0°4'43"E

OS Eastings: 543917

OS Northings: 196457

OS Grid: TQ439964

Mapcode National: GBR P1.LKH

Mapcode Global: VHHMS.BT0M

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 29 May 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1111220

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118639

Location: Loughton, Epping Forest, Essex, IG10

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: Loughton

Built-Up Area: Loughton

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Loughton, St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

1/40 Church of St. Nicholas


Anglican church, 1877. Coursed rubble with stone dressings, roofed with
handmade red clay tiles. Chancel and nave in one rectangular plan aligned
approx. NE-SW, with timber porch to NW and vestry with lean-to roof to SE.
In NE wall one 2-centred window with 3 trefoiled lights and quatrefoils over,
diagonal buttresses, and foundation stone inscribed AM 1877. In NW wall, N
doorway with 2-centred arch, one 2-centred window with 2 trefoiled lights and
quatrefoil over. In SE wall one similar smaller window NE of vestry. In SW
wall one 2-centred window with 4 trefoiled lights and 2-centred tracery over,
3 buttresses, and bellcote. The C18 boundary wall of Loughton Hall abuts each
side of the SW end, aligned with it, showing that the church was sited at this
orientation to adjust to the existing wall, with the SW end of the church inside
the private grounds. An inscription at the NE end states that the church was
erected by Anne Maitland. Some features are retained from the former church,
E of the present building, as below. Brasses: In chancel - (1) of (Abel
Guilliams, 1637) with figures of man and wife kneeling at a desk, six sons and
four daughters, inscription and shield lost; (2) of William Nodes, 1594, and
Elizabeth (Wollsey) his wife, figure of man and eight sons with their names,
figures of wife and daughters missing; (3) of (George Stonard, 1558) plate with
figures of man in armour and wife, each in round-headed niches, inscription
lost; (4) of John Stonnard, 1541, and Joan and Katheryn, his wives, with figures
of man and two women. Cupboard: In chancel - in N. wall, with elaborately
carved double doors of small size, flanked by columns and strapwork and
surmounted by entablature; on panel below doors, painting of the Annunciation,
late 16th-century. Glass: In N and S windows - two kneeling figures with
coloured nimbi, early 16th-century.

Listing NGR: TQ4391796457

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.