History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Michael

A Grade I Listed Building in Ramsey and Parkeston, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.9282 / 51°55'41"N

Longitude: 1.2248 / 1°13'29"E

OS Eastings: 621814

OS Northings: 230438

OS Grid: TM218304

Mapcode National: GBR VQV.4GN

Mapcode Global: VHLCF.5SWP

Plus Code: 9F33W6HF+7W

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 30 January 1987

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1112103

English Heritage Legacy ID: 120292

Location: Ramsey and Parkeston, Tendring, Essex, CO12

County: Essex

District: Tendring

Civil Parish: Ramsey and Parkeston

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: The Harwich Peninsula

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


TM 23 SW (north side)

2/61 Parish Church of St.

Parish church. Mainly C12-16, restored in C19. Chancel and Nave of plastered
rubble, W tower of exposed septaria, flint and pebble rubble, repaired with red
brick, S porch of red brick in Flemish bond; dressings mainly of limestone,
roofs of handmade red clay tiles. Nave early C12, Chancel C13, the upper part
C15, W tower early C15, repaired in late C16, C17 and C18, S porch 1816. The
Chancel has a late C16 E window of 3 square-headed and double-transomed lights,
plastered with a timber lintel and C13 splays. In the N wall is a late C16
window of 2 square-headed and transomed lights with a timber lintel and C13
splays, plastered; further W is a smaller C16 square-headed window, blocked. E
of the windows is a recess with moulded cinquefoiled head, shafted jambs with
moulded capitals and bases, C14, possibly an Easter sepulchre. In the S wall is
a late C16 window similar to that opposite, but with the sill carried down to
form a seat. W of it is a C15 doorway, partly restored, with double-ogee
moulded jambs, 5-centred arch and timber lintel. Immediately W of it is part of
the 2-centred head of a blocked archway, probably C13. W of it is a blocked C16
window similar to that opposite. The late C14 chancel-arch, partly restored, is
2-centred, of 2 moulded orders, the outer continuous, the inner resting on
attached semi-octagonal shafts; the moulded capitals are carved with
half-angels, the bases are moulded, and below the N base is a mutilated plinth.
The roof is of 4 bays, ceiled to the collars, with butt-purlins; the collars are
moulded and carved with egg-and-dart ornament and running foliage, and in
addition the middle collar is carved with the date 1597 and the name Goldingham;
the principal rafters and purlins are ovolo-moulded; at the junction of the
principals and collars are double consoles with carved spandrels. The
wallplates are carved with running ornament. The Nave has in the N wall 4
windows; the easternmost is early C14, of 2 lights with Y-tracery in a 2-centred
head, with chamfered rear-arch. The second window is late C14, of 2 trefoiled
lights with tracery in a square head, with moulded label and chamfered segmental
rear-arch; the westernmost window is a C13 lancet with chamfered 2-centred rear-
arch. Between the second and third windows is the early C12 N doorway, partly
restored, with semi-circular arch of one plain order; the imposts have diaper
ornament and a chamfered under-edge with zigazg carving. At the E end of this
wall is a late C15 rood-loft stair; the lower doorway has double-chamfered jambs
and 4-centred arch, rebated for a door, with one original hinge and an iron
bolt-socket; the upper doorway has a square head. The stair is complete, the
lower steps of stone on brick, the remainder of brick, forming an external
projection, with one quatrefoil light. The sawn-off stub of moulded rood-beam
is embedded in the N wall. In the S wall are 4 windows; the easternmost is late
C16, partly restored, of 2 square-headed lights with timber lintel; the second
is mid-C14, partly restored, of two 2-centred lights with uncusped saltire
tracery in a segmental head, with a moulded label and grotesque headstops (one
decayed); the third window is early C14, partly restored, of 2 lights with
Y-tracery in a 2-centred head, with moulded label and chamfered rear-arch; the
westernmost window is similar to the third window in the N wall, but with
narrower trefoils, the sill carried down to form a bay. E of it is the early
C15 S doorway, with jambs and 2-centred arch of 2 moulded orders, with a moulded
label and grotesque headstops; the inner order is carved with moons, stars,
crowned initials I and M, heads, leopards' heads and foliage; the outer order is
carved with a Coronation of the Virgin, crowns, and foliage with hanging
shields; the label is carved with shields, winged hearts and foliage. The door
is original, with a moulded surround and 3 moulded fillets, and 4 attached
shafts cut in the solid, with moulded bases and capitals formerly supporting
detached figures, only the fixing holes remaining; at the rear is a dovetailed
and nailed portcullis frame; the scutcheon plate and plain drop-handle are of
uncertain date. The roof of the Nave is in 4 bays, much restored, of crownpost
construction, with ashlar-pieces and soulaces to every rafter couple, and
octagonal crownposts with moulded caps and bases; 2 tiebeams are plain; the E
tiebeam is chamfered with lamb's tongue stops, probably re-used. The W tower is
of 3 stages, with a moulded plinth and C19/20 parapet; the upper part of the S
wall, SE stair turret and the SW buttress are of C18 brick. The C15 tower-arch
is 2-centred, of 2 orders, the outer double-ogee moulded and continuous, the
inner chamfered and resting on attached round shafts with moulded capitals and
bases. The early C16 W window, much restored, is of 3 ogee lights with plain
vertical tracery in a 4-centred head with moulded label and chamfered rear-arch,
the supporting arch of alternate limestone and flint voussoirs. The early C16 W
doorway of clunch, partly restored, has moulded jambs, decayed 2-centred arch in
a square head with traceried spandrels, a moulded label and chamfered
segmental-pointed rear-arch; the supporting arch is of alternate flint and red
brick voussoirs. The second stage has in the N, S and W walls a window of one
trefoiled light in a square head with a moulded label. The bell-chamber has in
the E, N and W walls a C15 window of 2 cinquefoiled lights with cusped tracery
in a 4-centred head, with a moulded label; the S window is C18. The doorway to
the bell-turret has double-ogee moulded jambs and 2-centred head; above it, the
sawn-off stubs of 2 moulded timbers are embedded in the S wall; the stair is lit
by 2 quatrefoils, and 2 plain lights in the brick upper part. The bell floor is
original, of plain joists of horizontal section framed round a central bellway.
Fittings. There are 2 piscinae (1) in the Chancel, with triangular head and
round drain, of uncertain date, (2) in the S wall of the Nave, with chamfered
jambs, mutilated cinquefoiled head and repaired drain, C14. N of the
chancel-arch are 2 narrow niches with triangular heads, of uncertain date. In
the S porch is a stoup with chamfered 2-centred head and jambs with broach
stops, probably C15. The font is partly C15, partly restored, with a recut
octagonal bowl with a shield in each face and a moulded soffit, a panelled
octagonal stem, and a moulded base with carved flowers. The pulpit, c.1600, is
octagonal, the panels divided into 3 ranges with bolection moulding, enriched
arcading and carved foliage respectively, the stem, base and stair restored. In
the Chancel is a floor-slab to Sophia Catherine (?) and Catherine Burr, 1747,
mutilated; the presence of the floor-slabs to William and Penelope Whitmore,
reported by the RCHM, could not be verified. Also in the Chancel is a slab with
indent for an inscription plate. On the S wall of the Chancel is a memorial to
Daniel Burr, 1782, and his widow Elizabeth, 1785, in white marble inlaid with
grey marble, with an urn with guilloche border in full relief, moulded head with
paterae and inlaid arcading, inlaid strips at the sides, painted shield of arms
and foliate brackets; the inscription describes it as 'This unadorned Memorial'.
Also on the S wall is a white marble tablet to Lieutenant-General Daniel Burr,
1828. On the S wall of the Nave is a royal arms of 1727, and a Commonwealth
arms of 1651, painted on boards with a simple wooden frame; this was found with
traces of canvas behind the royal arms, a rare or possibly unique survival. On
the N wall of the Nave is the hatchment of Lieutenant-General Daniel Burr, 1828,
with legend "Virtus Verus Honos'. There are 5 bells, 3 by Thomas Gardiner dated
1724, 1724 and 1745 respectively; the bells by Miles Graye, 1638, and John
Darbie, 1676, reported by the RCHM, were recast in 1967. A-clock with foliot
escapement was removed to Colchester Castle Museum in 1964. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TM2181430438

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.