This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9268 / 51°55'36"N
Longitude: 1.2357 / 1°14'8"E
OS Eastings: 622567
OS Northings: 230308
OS Grid: TM225303
Mapcode National: GBR VQW.17H
Mapcode Global: VHLCF.CTLT
Entry Name: Millbank
Listing Date: 20 June 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1205216
English Heritage Legacy ID: 366611
Location: Harwich, Tendring, Essex, CO12
Civil Parish: Harwich
Built-Up Area: Harwich
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: The Harwich Peninsula
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TM23SW OAKLEY ROAD, Dovercourt
609-1/9/197 (North West side)
House. Early and late C16. Timber-framed and rendered with
gabled clay plain tile roofs, hipped on N corner. 2 storeys
and of 'L' plan form with garage lean-to on SW end.
EXTERIOR: projecting SE gable has imitation framing and a
canted C20 oriel window on first floor over a canted
flat-roofed bay window, both with casements. Plaster C20 date
of 1661 over a flat-roofed porch. Main S elevation has C20
triangular plan oriel window over a C19 double-hung sash
window with 3 vertical glazing bars. Late C16 brick stack with
3 diagonal shafts rises from NW corner. This is rebuilt at
head, but original base has 2 canted brick corner gablets at
springing of shafts. A mysterious plan arrangement seemingly
the result of the incorporation of an early C16 structure into
a later C16 complex.
INTERIOR: the SW-NE block is the remains of a 'baffle entry'
house of the late C16 probably of 2 bays plus a central stack
bay. The SW bay is now missing with evidence of serious fire
damage. The frame here has close studding, evidence or diamond
mullioned windows, jowled posts and arch braces to tie beams.
The roof has clasped side purlins. The contemporary stack has
back-to-back wood-burning fireplaces and a 'solar' fireplace
over. Mantel beam on 'hall' side is covered in inscribed
protective lines and the initials FR WR 1668 and separate date
Remains of door opening at flank of stack and old rebated
board partition between 'hall' and older wing. This is of 3
two-storey bays with mixture of jowled and unjowled posts and
arch-braced crown post roof. Remains of diamond mullioned
windows, heavy arch braces to tie beams and external wall
bracing. At junction with late C16 block is wide opening with
arch braces to wall plate, to achieve one large L-shaped first
floor room. Angle tie at roof plate level on NE corner. Former
partition on ground floor has been moved and shows evidence
for further door opening. Probably this was a non-residential
building, as first built.
(RCHME: Essex NE: London: 1922-: 86 (6)).
Listing NGR: TM2256730308
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings