History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Giles and Churchyard Tombs

A Grade II Listed Building in Katesgrove, Reading

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.451 / 51°27'3"N

Longitude: -0.9704 / 0°58'13"W

OS Eastings: 471641

OS Northings: 172946

OS Grid: SU716729

Mapcode National: GBR QMH.39

Mapcode Global: VHDWT.4SBK

Entry Name: Church of St Giles and Churchyard Tombs

Listing Date: 22 March 1957

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1113579

English Heritage Legacy ID: 39169

Location: Reading, RG1

County: Reading

Electoral Ward/Division: Katesgrove

Built-Up Area: Reading

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Reading St Giles

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

5128 (East Side)
Church of St Giles
and Churchyard Tombs

SU 7172 NE 4/244-244A 22.3.57.

Church of England. The small mediaeval church was rebuilt 1872 by J P St Aubyn
in Early English style retaining only the C13 aisle walls and Perpendicular
west tower. Ashlar steeple 1873. Flint faced with stine dressings. Tiled
roof. 3 bay aisled nave and slight transept. Y tracery lancet windows except
i. plate tracery twin 2-light lancets in belfry.
ii. 3 light Perpendicular west window.
iii. Good decorated-type trancept windows.
iv. Geometric east window.
Tower joins at skew and has corner and side buttresses. Pointed west door.
Traces of mediaeval walling on south and west sides. 3 bay chancel with flanking
chapels. Interior: rich Early English-style chancel. Norman fragments in
tower (a capital possibly from the Abbey). Early C16 brass to John and Jane
Bowyer. A number of good C18 memorial tablets and a good sculpted memorial
to Harwood Awberry (date 1748) by Peter Scheemakers.
The graveyard retains much of its C19 astmosphere and contains a number of good
To south-west - 3 chest tombs, the nearest to the church corner is best: early
C19 to Thomas Patrick Sourdon, tapering sides, cross gabled capping with corner
antefixae. The 2 others are circa 1840 with fluted corners.
To north-west and east - another good group of both table and pyramidal-capped
tombs. The dest is to William Granger circa 1840 - simialar to the Sourdon
tomb (see above) with incised corner piers. Also notable (1) William Green
and Woodard family vault - a late C18 chest tomb. Circa 1811, Portland stone,
moulded plinth, oval panels to front and back. A number of tombs at the east
end face true east (ie aligned slightly differently from the chancel).

Listing NGR: SU7164172946

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.