This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1195 / 52°7'10"N
Longitude: -0.4147 / 0°24'52"W
OS Eastings: 508640
OS Northings: 247985
OS Grid: TL086479
Mapcode National: GBR G2F.3Z3
Mapcode Global: VHFQ8.RZNK
Entry Name: Howard's House
Listing Date: 7 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1114147
English Heritage Legacy ID: 36651
Location: Cardington, Bedford, MK44
Civil Parish: Cardington
Built-Up Area: Cardington
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Cardington
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 0847 CARDINGTON CHURCH LANE
9/14 Howard's House
House. C18, with C19 and C20 additions. Main block of colour washed rough
cast over brick, later blocks of red brick with only front elevations
roughcast rendered. Clay tile roof. Double-pile plan of 2 storeys and
attics, roof hipped to front but double-gabled to rear. C19 2 storey and
attics block to rear, C2U single-storey flat-roofed additions to side. Front:
symmetrical facade. Central doorway has 6 panel door, top 2 pairs fielded,
rectangular fanlight, moulded door surround, Roman Doric half pilasters,
pulvinated frieze, and cornice. Flanked by 3-light casements. First floor
has 2 similar casements flanking 2-light casement. 3 hipped dormers with 3-
light casements. All windows have leaded lights. Central ridge stack of 4
diagonal flues, rebuilt C20 to slightly less than original height. C18
wrought iron railings and gate to front garden. Rear: irregular elevation
with variety of sash windows. Doorway: Roman Doric half-columns and
entablature, cut by C19 block to R; smaller Doric pilasters and round-headed
arch within, containing semi-circular fanlight and part glazed double doors.
Above doorway is round-headed sash window in moulded surround with keystone.
Above this is balustraded parapet running between 2 gables. Red brick gable
end stack to LH gable, again with 3 rebuilt diagonal flues. Interior: retains
some original C18 features, including panelling, staircase and chimney pieces.
Residence c1760-1790 of John Howard (1726-1790) philanthropist and prison
reformer. (Bedfordshire Record Office, various documents, including W3309 and
Listing NGR: TL0864047985
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings