History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Gregory

A Grade II* Listed Building in Welford, West Berkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.4559 / 51°27'21"N

Longitude: -1.413 / 1°24'46"W

OS Eastings: 440883

OS Northings: 173156

OS Grid: SU408731

Mapcode National: GBR 6ZR.PL0

Mapcode Global: VHC1N.GNCR

Entry Name: Church of St Gregory

Listing Date: 6 March 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1117225

English Heritage Legacy ID: 39786

Location: Welford, West Berkshire, RG20

County: West Berkshire

Civil Parish: Welford

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Welford with Wickham

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
East Garston

Listing Text


12/9 Church of St. Gregory


Church. 1852-5 by T. Talbot Bury, the Norman tower taken down and
re-built in the late C19. Flint, some squared and knapped and some
knapped, with stone dressings and tiled roof. Tower, nave, aisles,
chancel and south porch. Heavy stone moulded plinth, buttresses, moulded
string at cill level, gable parapets. Round tower, tall first stage with
one semicircular headed window to north, south and west, short second
stage above moulded string changing to octagon at top, with 2-light pointed
arched louvres with thin engaged columns under pointed arch. Coupled
columns at corners of octagon supporting blind arcade and stone spire
with 2-light gabled louvres at base,clock faces to north and south.
South Elevation:- tower to left. 4 bay south aisle, with south porch
to left of 2-centred arched doorway under stone coped parapetted gable
with central niche and statue, flanked by clasping buttresses with
gabled crocketted and finialled caps. Three windows to right. Bays
divided by buttresses with an angle buttress to right end. Chancel to
right of 3 bays with plain lancet windows and blocked doorway with
caernarvon-arched head. Interior:- 4 bay nave and aisles, arcade of
2 centred arches springing off compound piers with foliage capitals.
Double purlin, arch braced collar roof with curved wind-braces to nave,
scissor trusses with cusped bracing to aisles. 3 bay chancel with stone
vaulted roof, carved leaf bosses and ribs springing off leaf capitals on
marble colonnettes. Pointed arched arcading forming sedilia around
walls and stone access stair to pulpit built into north side of chancel
arch. Fittings:- reset brasses on South wall of chancel, depict John Younge
and his family and a cleric. west wall of north aisle has monument to the
Reverend Thomas Shirley and family 1753, a rectangular tablet with
shouldered architrave and cambered top surmounted by obelisk with draped
lamp in coloured marbles. In the tower are 5 marble tablets, one with
portrait bust, to the Mundy family, all of late C17 date. On west wall
of south aisle is a re-set monument in carved stone and marble of kneeling
female figure in niche flanked by Ionic columns supporting frieze and
aedicule. Beneath this is an inscribed tablet with kneeling figures of
12 girls and 7 boys, latin inscription to Anna, daughter of William
Rede, wife of Adrian Fortescue and Thomas Parry, died in 1585 in her
75th year; C11 arcaded font on C20 base.

Listing NGR: SU4088373156

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.