This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.456 / 51°27'21"N
Longitude: -1.4136 / 1°24'48"W
OS Eastings: 440842
OS Northings: 173168
OS Grid: SU408731
Mapcode National: GBR 6ZR.PFL
Mapcode Global: VHC1N.GN2N
Entry Name: Welford Park and Walls to East and West
Listing Date: 6 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1264078
English Heritage Legacy ID: 428827
Location: Welford, West Berkshire, RG20
County: West Berkshire
Civil Parish: Welford
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Welford with Wickham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 47 SW WELFORD WELFORD
12/6 Welford Park and Walls to
East and West
County House in small landscaped park. Late C17 with refronting of
Circa 1700 with mid and late C18 alterations. Red brick original house
with grey brick, and red dressings to late C18 extension; tiled roof.
Formerly U-plan, the recess being filled with late C18 extension. 3
storeys and attic, heavy dentilled eaves cornice, pedimented dormers,
panelled and corniced tall stacks. West Elevation:- Central dentilled
pediment supported on colossal Ionic pilasters with moulded stone bases.
4 dormers towards centre with 2 side extruded stacks and stack behind
ridge to left. 7 bays of glazing bar sashes with open boxes and gauged
flat-arched heads except ground floor which are without glazing bars.
Wide central half-glazed door with arched light over in architrave
surround with cornice hood over pulvinated frieze on volute brackets.
Short spurs of brick wall 10 metres long and 2 metres high with keyed
and rusticated arch in wall to south. Outer walls are of no special
interest. South Elevation:- 2 dormers and stack with breast projecting
to front at left. irregular fenestration of 2 glazing bar sashes on
first and second floors and 4 on ground floor, the first and third from
left being French casements. Various alterations have occurred to this
facade including the placing of the chimney breast partially over two
blind windows. The windows have raised brick surrounds. East Elevation:-
Central 2-storey bow with 3 storey wings. 2 dormers to each wing and
stacks in re-entrant corners of former recess. 2-3-2 window facade;
glazing bar sashes on central bow with panels below. Blind windows on
left wing with raised brick surrounds and single strips between windows.
Glazing bar sashes with open boxes to right. C20 glazed doors on ground
floor with pilastered surround and flat hood on volute brackets over.
Red brick wall 20 metres by 30 metres enclosing East garden on East
and North sides, arched motifs towards house in centre of both sides.
North elevation:- C20 single storey wing of no special interest.
Interior:- Vestibule:- Circa 1700 fielded panelling, late C18 fireplace
with paired colonnettes and swagged friezes. Opens by 3 arches, the
outer ones closed as panelled recesses to impost level, to Staircase Hall:-
3-flight rectangular open well stair with long lowest flight and 3rd flight
with long intermediate landing. Turned balusters with drop stems. Mitred
rails over panelled newel posts. Closed string and closed, shouldered
rail. Panelled dado and fielded panelling above. Gallery on 2nd floor
with umbrella dome rectangular top-light and fanned pendentives.
Drawing Room:- Mid C18 Rococo pelmets. Later C18 fireplace with
twisted Corinthian columns and double curved figured frieze. Library:-
Mid C18 rococo pelments and marble rococo fireplace.
Listing NGR: SU4084273168
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings