This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4125 / 51°24'45"N
Longitude: -0.8295 / 0°49'46"W
OS Eastings: 481498
OS Northings: 168819
OS Grid: SU814688
Mapcode National: GBR D7R.74C
Mapcode Global: VHDX2.KRTH
Entry Name: Mollony Tomb, Approximately 14 Metres North of Tower, Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 15 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1117980
English Heritage Legacy ID: 41790
Location: Wokingham, Wokingham, RG40
Civil Parish: Wokingham
Built-Up Area: Wokingham
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Wokingham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
1886/18/61 WILTSHIRE ROAD
15-JUL-87 (East side)
Mollony Tomb, approximately 14 metres
north of tower, Church of All Saints
Chest tomb of Daniel Mollony, died 1839, erected by Elizabeth, his widow. Made of York stone with Portland limestone dressings, red brick.
DESCRIPTION: The monument takes the form of a chest tomb in a Greek Revival style on a moulded stone plinth above a red brick base. The York stone chest has Portland limestone corner columns in a Greek Doric order and a shallow hipped roof with four projecting anitfixae, also known as Greek tiles, at the corners. The north and south elevations have the same Latin inscription: `DANIEL MOLLONY OBIIT.II.APR.1839 AETAT 80'. That on the south elevation is now less legible. No other inscriptions are apparent although the stone of the west and east elevations is much weathered.
HISTORY: The memorial was erected in 1839 by Elizabeth Mollony, Daniel's widow, who is buried in the adjacent chest tomb to the south. Daniel Mollony was Lord Braybrooke's steward responsible for the management of his lordship's Billingbear estates for nearly half a century. Lord Braybrooke erected a memorial in grateful tribute to his employee, which can be seen in the south aisle of All Saints church, from which it is clear that he was held in very high esteem by his employer. The tomb's Greek Revival style followed a current architectural trend although was erected in the later years of its popularity. Elizabeth Mollony left money in her will to ensure that both her own and her husband's tombs would be cared for in perpetuity with any additional funds to be distributed amongst specified poor of the parish. Both tombs were sufficiently well constructed that limited maintenance appears to have been necessary, to the benefit of the poor. Monies from the Mollony or Stone Charity were still being distributed in the late 1930s.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: Daniel Mollony's tomb is a handsome monument to the steward of the Billingbear estates, who died in 1839 at the age of 80. The tomb was erected by his widow, Elizabeth Mollony, in a Greek Revival style. This early Victorian tomb has special interest for the quality of its design, materials and execution.
SOURCES: Young, B, 2005, `The Listed Churchyard Monuments at Wokingham', forthcoming in Berkshire Old and New, Berkshire Local History Association.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings