This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4124 / 51°24'44"N
Longitude: -0.8292 / 0°49'45"W
OS Eastings: 481523
OS Northings: 168801
OS Grid: SU815688
Mapcode National: GBR D7R.F5H
Mapcode Global: VHDX2.LR0M
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 12 November 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1155959
English Heritage Legacy ID: 41788
Location: Wokingham, Wokingham, RG40
Civil Parish: Wokingham
Built-Up Area: Wokingham
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Wokingham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
WOKINGHAM WILTSHIRE ROAD
SU 86 NW
10/25 Church of All Saints
Parish church. Late C14 on an older site, tower and clerestory added C15, chancel
and aisles largely restored in the style of the C14, in 1864-6 by Henry Woodyer;
external stonework to tower restored in 1880. Roof restored in 1985-6. Tower
and clerestorey, dark brown square conglomerate blocks, with stone dressings;
remainder grey squared rubble. Lead roofs to nave and tower, tiles elsewhere.
Chancel, north chancel aisle with organ chamber; south chapel, north east vestry,
nave, north and south aisles, south porch and west tower. Tower:- 3 stages with
plinth and embattled parapet. Square angle buttresses, and a stair turret on
south east corner rising above parapet with a tall, pointed, stone pinnacle and
iron weathervane. West doorway has old jambs, wide casement mould and a 2-centred
arch under a C19 square head. Above is a C19 window with 5 cinquefoil lights
under a traceried, 2-centred head. Second stage, a restored west window of 3
cinquefoil lights with traceried 4-centred head; and a clock dial on the south
and west sides. Bell chamber has windows of 2 cinquefoil lights under 4-centred
heads. North aisle:- Three C19, 3-light windows with tracery under a square
head; a pointed 3-light window in the west wall; Five, 2-stage buttresses between
each. South aisle:- Windows similar to north aisle and with four, 2-stage .
buttresses between. South doorway between second and third windows is C12 in
style, with zig-zag ornament. The porch has 2 small windows in each side wall
and a pointed entrance archway. Chancel:- east window of 5-lights under a
traceried head. South wall has two, 2-light windows. Interior:- 5 bay nave
roof of arch braced collars and redundant crownpost; all moulded and with
tracery between tie beams, rafters, and traceried spandrels to 4-centred arch
bracing below the ties; moulded jack posts supported by C19 stone head corbels.
The principal rafters, clasped purlins and ridge piece, are chamfered and moulded;
one of the tie beams has a date of 1631 carved in it and the inscription '1L & T.S.'.
High north and south arcades, each of 5 bays, the outer ones on the east and west
are 4-centred arches and wider than the intermediate, which are 2-centred. The
columns are circular and are of chalk except the second column on the north,
which is C19 stone. The octagonal bases are probably Norman, with a roll and
hollow chamfer mould; the circular capitals have shallow mouldings on an
octagonal abacus. The arches are of 2 orders, with a double ogee moulding and
chamfer. The aisle roofs are C19, with carved hammer-beam trusses and plain
rafters. An arcade of 2 bays divides the chancel from the organ chamber; and a
similar arcade on the south, with a smaller bay to the east opens into the chapel.
On the north wall of the chancel, is a trefoiled recess with a credence shelf;
the reredos is of carved stone. A carved oak screen divides the chancel from
the nave, and an iron screen the chapel. The C15 font is octagonal with
traceried, panelled sides containing roses and other flowers; and has a hollow
chamfered under-edge carved with inter-twined tree branches. The stem has
panelled sides and a moulded base. Stained glass east window by Hardman.
Monuments:- include a small black marble slab on the north wall of the vestry,
with a Latin inscription to Thomas Godwin of Christ Church Oxford, Bishop of
Bath and Wells, born in Wokingham, and buried there in 1590. On the south wall
of the south aisle, is an undated C16 mural monument with a brass, enclosed in
a rounded-headed panel of black marble, enriched by a guilloche; on the brass,
figures of a man and woman kneeling at a desk, with an inscription below them
in English verse. To the right of this is a C18 cartouche to Humphrey Cantrel Sen.,
and Humphrey Cantrel Jun. On the north wall of the north aisle, is a cartouche
to Edward Cotton of Wokingham, who died in 1682. The church tower forms an
important visual element to the eastern end of Rose Street, and to the eastern
entry to the town.
V.C.H. Vol.111 p.226. B.0.E. (Berkshire) p.307.
Listing NGR: SU8152368801
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings