This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7156 / 50°42'56"N
Longitude: -2.4369 / 2°26'12"W
OS Eastings: 369252
OS Northings: 90750
OS Grid: SY692907
Mapcode National: GBR PY.RG0D
Mapcode Global: FRA 57S6.2GD
Entry Name: Church of St Peter. Railings on East and South Sides of Churchyard
Listing Date: 8 May 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119031
English Heritage Legacy ID: 104390
Location: Dorchester, West Dorset, Dorset, DT1
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Dorchester
Built-Up Area: Dorchester
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Dorchester and West Stafford
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
738/7/1 HIGH WEST STREET
08-MAY-50 (North side)
CHURCH OF ST PETER RAILINGS ON
EAST AND SOUTH SIDES OF CHURCHYARD
HIGH WEST STREET
Church of St Peter.
Railings on east and
south sides of churchyard
SY 6990 7/1 8.5.50.
Building in 1420/1. North and south chapels slightly later. Vestry and chancel added in 1856-7 by John Hicks and Thomas Hardy. C12 south doorway reset in C15 church. Hammer-dressed limestone with Ham stone ashlar dressings. Pitched stone slate roof to nave, tiles to chancel, lean-to over aisles. Moulded plinth and eaves cornices. Parapet to aisle roofs, crenellated along south side and around vestry. Buttress, with set-backs, very fine grotesques on the eaves cornice, and crocketed pinnacles placed diagonally above each buttress. Perpendicular tracery in all windows. Tower with moulded plinth, 2 strings, eaves cornice and crenellated parapet. Polygonal stair tower at north east corner. Angle buttresses with set backs, gargoyles at the eaves cornice and crocketed pinnacles placed diagonally above each. Upper stage has tall bell openings with transoms and Perpendicular tracery. Pitch-roofed porch to south doorway, which is a re-set pointed arch with 2 orders of zig-zag and 1 order of foliage. Many monuments of which the following are outstanding. 2 C14 effigies of recumbent knights (presumably reset) in window embrasures of south chapel. 1 C14 tomb chest (presumably reset) in chancel north wall; quartrefoil-panelled front, cusped ogee arched recess with flanking crocketed pinnacles. Sarcophagus of Sir John and Lady Williams of Herringstone (1617) in north chapel: canopy taken on Corinthian columns with mound arched centre. Semi-reclining effigy of Denzil, Lord Holles,in north aisle: gadrooned sarcophagus in curtained, aedicule flanked by weeping putti (similarities between this and the Strode monument of 1698 at Beaminster,and the Digby monument of 1698 at Sherborne suggest Nost as a possible sculptor).
Jacobean wooden pulpit. Reredos (1894-7) by C E Ponting of Marlborough. Royal Arms with "CR" monogram under tower. Victorian benches and tiles in chancel. Iron railings and gates with spear finials and elaborate open-work iron piers.
Nos 48 to 65A (consec) including the Shire Hall, Holy Trinity Church, the Museum, St Peter's Church and Monument to William Barnes in church yard immediately south of West Tower form a group.
Listing NGR: SY6925290750
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings