This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6671 / 50°40'1"N
Longitude: -2.3284 / 2°19'42"W
OS Eastings: 376886
OS Northings: 85322
OS Grid: SY768853
Mapcode National: GBR 108.04W
Mapcode Global: FRA 6709.W5F
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 26 January 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119232
English Heritage Legacy ID: 105924
Location: Owermoigne, Dorset, Dorset, DT2
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Owermoigne
Built-Up Area: Owermoigne
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Owermoigne St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 7885-7785 OWERMOIGNE CHURCH LANE
Parish Church of
Parish Church. West tower, early C15. Rest of church rebuilt in
1883 to the design of S.Jackson of Weymouth, with some medieval windows
reset in the chancel. Rubblestone walls. Clay tile roofs. West
tower, three storeys divided externally into two stages by a
weathered string-course, with a plinth and an embattled parapet and
gargoyles at the corners. On the north side is a vice contained in a
large rounded projection with loop lights, to the west are single stage
diagonal buttresses added before 1883. The west window is of two
cinquefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a two centred head with a
label. In the upper stage there is a window in each wall of two
arched lights without cusping in a square head. The tower roof is
modern. Nave, 1883, has two windows to south wall with porch
between. Windows are left, 2 lights trefoil cusped with a cinquefoil
in circle above and traceried spandrels, all in a square head with a
label. Right window to same design, though of 3 main lights and
2 cinquefoils over. Gabled porch at centre with stone gable coping
and cross over. Entrance has moulded jambs and pointed arch. Label with
square stops. 2 leaf plank door. Inner doorway to nave has
straight chamfered jamb and four centred head, plank door with strap
hinges. Chancel rebuilt 1883, has an east window of that date,
3 trefoiled lights with a 12 foil in circle over, all in a pointed head.
Label with stops over. The north wall has a C16 window of two
cinquefoiled lights with hollow moulded jambs and square head. In
the south wall a similar C16 window with a C19 label. Further west a mid
C13 window of one trefoiled light with two centred head and C19
label. North vestry, with external access from east, and attached
small north chapel, lit by a 3 light window. Interior: tower arch of
2 moulded orders, inner 2 centred, outer is segmental pointed and
continuous down to pyramidal stops. North side has a doorway to the
vice. Chancel arch, C19, segmental pointed arch with inner order dying
into jambs. Similar arch to north chapel. Fittings: font, circular
moulded bowl on plain cylindrical stem with moulded foot on square
base, C18. Benefactors Table, in tower north wall, C18 painted wooden
panel recording bequests to the Owermoigne, poor from Adam Jones of
Holworth, Abbotsmilton, 1653. Brass in chancel, to John Burton, 1506.
(R.C.H.M. Dorset II, p. 184 (1)).
Listing NGR: SY7688685322
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings