History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hanley St Lukes Church of England Aided Primary School Infant Building

A Grade II Listed Building in Stoke-on-Trent, Stoke-on-Trent

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.0244 / 53°1'27"N

Longitude: -2.1672 / 2°10'2"W

OS Eastings: 388878

OS Northings: 347464

OS Grid: SJ888474

Mapcode National: GBR MNB.DC

Mapcode Global: WHBCT.P75S

Plus Code: 9C5V2RFM+P4

Entry Name: Hanley St Lukes Church of England Aided Primary School Infant Building

Listing Date: 5 January 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1119707

English Heritage Legacy ID: 469205

Location: Joiner's Square, Stoke-on-Trent, ST1

County: Stoke-on-Trent

Electoral Ward/Division: Joiner's Square

Built-Up Area: Stoke-on-Trent

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Hanley St Luke

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in



Wellington Road,
Hanley St Luke's Church of England Aided Primary School: Infant Building


School. 1893 with later addition to right c1960-1969. Designed by the architects to the Hanley School Board, R. Scrivener and Sons of Hanley; contractors, T. Godwin and Sons of Hanley. Interior tiles probably by Minton Hollins. Reddish brown brick in Flemish bond with moulded blue brick copings to plinth and string course, moulded terracotta tile dressings to eaves and stacks, ashlar voussoirs and pargetting in gables; plain tile roofs, that to front central range is hipped to left, with glazing to hall roof; tall brick stacks with moulded cornices to angles between ranges at front and to rear. Vernacular Revival style. Occupies a sloping site. Plan: central main hall surrounded by classrooms and cloakrooms, expressed as central, single tall storey range with lower, one-and- a-half storey range to front and single tall storey on basement to rear, all between ranges at right angles to main block to either side, with single tall storey to front and on basement to rear. Front has three bays: 1-4-1; the outer bays break forward (that to left more prominently) and have gables with pargetting, that to left incorporating inscription H.S.B. (Hanley School Board); centre range with two gabled attic roof dormers with similar pargetting. Entrance off-centre left in angled porch has 8-panel door with divided fanlight and surround with voussoirs. End ranges have wide, tall tripartite windows, that to left has three 6/6 sashes with pilaster strips between and divided wide, cambered arched multi-pane overlight and voussoirs to arch. To right a central pair of 4/6 sashes with fanlight with central circular glazing bars between narrow, tall 416 sashes with fanlights, all with voussoirs. Central range has 4/4 sashes and 3/3 sash all with blind fanlights with pargetting and arches with keystones, another 1/1 sash. Casement windows to attics. Left and rear elevations have similar tripartite windows and gables with pargetting, one to rear incorporating date.

INTERIOR: extensive use of fine tiling to dado in entrance hall, main hall and classrooms with cream, buff, white, dark red, brown and dark green glazes. The dado incorporates panels of embossed tiles with a variety of patterns and is surmounted by moulded tiles; the tiles have been close set without grout. Above the dado to the main hall on two sides are glazed partition walls with panes of coloured glass; sliding part-glazed doors to classrooms. The main hall has eight bays and a part-glazed roof with false hammer-beam collar-truss with upper king strut. Clerestory lights between some classrooms. Classrooms retain fitted slate boards in moulded tile surrounds and fitted cupboards with 4-panel doors. Tobins inlet ventilators to some rooms. To attics are gas jets.

The school was close to the Minton Factory. Many of the tiles are similar in design to those illustrated in the Minton China Works catalogue, c1880-1890. The school interior retains an unusually fine collection of embossed tiles. It was originally known as the Wellington County Infants' School.

Listing NGR: SJ8887847464

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.