This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1321 / 51°7'55"N
Longitude: -0.6646 / 0°39'52"W
OS Eastings: 493533
OS Northings: 137832
OS Grid: SU935378
Mapcode National: GBR FDL.SYD
Mapcode Global: VHFVZ.FSHZ
Entry Name: Meadow Cottage
Listing Date: 19 June 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119776
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469330
Location: Witley, Waverley, Surrey, GU8
Civil Parish: Witley
Built-Up Area: Wormley
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Witley
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU93NW WITLEY BROOK ROAD
1801/8/10007 Meadow Cottage
House. Probably early C17 with C18 alterations; extended 1920s; further alterations late C20. Timber-framed with painted wattle and daub infill on brick plinth; brick and tile-hung to rear. Plain clay tile roofs, half hipped. Brick chimneys. 2-storey, 2-bay baffle-entry house with side-outshut on right incorporated in 3-bay early-C20 addition (in line); further C20 2-bay addition on left, projecting at front and with late-C20 single-storey additions at rear. The timber frame has small square panels and tension braces. C20 wooden casement windows throughout, of 2 or 3 lights, at rear mostly leaded or with small panes. At front, original section has a 2-light window to left and 3-light window to right on each floor; door on right in line with paired stacks; further stack to rear left. Exposed rafter feet. Rear: ground floor of brick, at original section of red brick with blue headers in Flemish bond on rubblestone and brick plinth; tile-hung 1st floor. Original section has blocked central doorway with late-C20 double-door with side-lights to its left and 3-light window to right; windows of 3 and 2 lights above. On left, original outshut has 2-light window to ground floor. Interior: original section retains the timber frame including the partition wall between bays, which on the 1st floor has curved foot braces. On ground floor, right bay has inglenook fireplace, large-scantling joists and spine-beam with stepped cyma stops. Roof trusses each have 3 posts up to collar and clasped purlins; pegged rafters; wind braces at left (east) end which was originally half-hipped, the right end being gabled originally. An early-C17 timber-framed house which retains its original plan and character. Domestic Buildings Research Group (Surrey), Report no 4309 (1993).
Listing NGR: SU9353337832
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings