This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.6326 / 54°37'57"N
Longitude: -1.647 / 1°38'49"W
OS Eastings: 422887
OS Northings: 526440
OS Grid: NZ228264
Mapcode National: GBR JGYW.74
Mapcode Global: WHC58.NTYG
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 24 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121498
English Heritage Legacy ID: 112189
Location: Shildon, County Durham, DL4
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Shildon
Built-Up Area: Shildon
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Shildon
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 22 NW SHILDON CHURCH STREET
(East side, off)
4/73 Church of St. John
Parish church. 1833-4 nave by Anthony Salvin; largely rebuilt and extended
in 1881-2 by C. Hodgson Fowler who also rebuilt the tower 1891-1900. Dressed
sandstone. Welsh slate roofs and green slate tower roof. Disengaged west tower;
continuous aisled nave and chancel; north and south porches at west end Early
English style with lancets under hoodmoulds.
3-stage west tower, defined by chamfered bands, has set-back buttresses. First
stage has roll-moulded, pointed-arched doorway, on paired colonnettes, with 3
lancets above; north return has A.D. 1900 datestone. Second stage has circular
clock faces and paired lancets to north return. Belfry has 3 louvred lancets,
corbelled parapet and pyramidal roof. Flat, 2-stage stair turret to south return.
4-bay nave and 2-bay chancel. Buttressed aisles have paired lancets, sill string
and continuous hoodmould. North aisle has blank east bay with pointed-arched
vestry doorway to west. 2 eastern bays of south aisle contain organ chamber and
Lady chapel. Roofs have coped gables. Single lancets of 1833 nave flank west
tower. Low single-bay porches with monopitch roofs (in re-entrant angles between
nave and aisles) have doorways with shouldered lintels under pointed arches.
Triple-gabled east end. Projecting chancel has 3 stepped lancets. Sexfoil window
in south aisle return. 2-light plate-tracery window to north aisle return.
Plain and plastered interior. Spacious nave and aisles. 4-bay north arcade has
chamfered, pointed arches dying into octagonal piers. Similar 6-bay south arcade.
Ceiled nave roof with braced tie beams. Aisle roofs have arch-braced tie-beams
and collars. Raised sanctuary under depressed pointed arch. Semi-octagonal stone
Has townscape value. Buildings attached to east end not of special interest.
Listing NGR: NZ2288726440
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings