This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2011 / 51°12'3"N
Longitude: 1.2617 / 1°15'42"E
OS Eastings: 627958
OS Northings: 149705
OS Grid: TR279497
Mapcode National: GBR W0M.MTJ
Mapcode Global: VHLH3.T2CL
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 11 October 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121964
English Heritage Legacy ID: 177881
Location: Eythorne, Dover, Kent, CT15
Civil Parish: Eythorne
Built-Up Area: Eythorne
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
EYTHORNE CHURCH HILL
TR 24 NE
4/20 Church of St.
Peter and St.
Parish church. Circa 1200 with C15 Perpendicular north tower and porch.
Restored 1873-4 with south vestry added. Flint with plain tiled roof.
Chancel and chapel, nave and aisle, north tower and south vestry. Two
stage northern tower with offset angle buttresses. Simple roll moulded
north doorway in tower to vaulted porch, with chamfered quadripartite
vault and large central boss with bearded male face. Largely restored
fenestration, but with lancets to north aisle and chapel, and the head
at least of the chapel east window original with 3 quatrefoils.
Interior: 2 bay north arcade with simple chamfered arches on square
pier with moulded abaci, similar arch to north chapel from aisle, C19
waggon vault roofs with 2 crown posts in nave. C19 chancel arch, and
restored double chamfered 2 bay arcade to north chapel on central pier
of 4 clustered columns. Fittings: Sedilia, restored 2 seater, with
original central shaft with trefoiled leaf capital, with drip mould over
resting to centre on an angel boss. Simple chamfered double piscina.
Remains of C19 chancel decoration with crocketed recesses either side
of east window, and stylised flower panels on walls. Piscina and aumbry
in north chapel, partly encased in early C20 panelling. Lectern, by
J.P. Seddon, brass, with 2 attached candle brackets, and 3 spear headed
shafts around central twisted stem. Font: disused bowl dated 1628,
of lead, and 7 repeated figures of naked Venus bearing a torch.
Monuments: John Minet. Rector of Eyethorne, d.l774. Simple white
marble wall plaque in the chancel, with foliated and scrolled sides with
pediment-shaped cornice. Susanna Sankey, d.1799. Coade stone wall
monument in the north chapel, with a simple inscription panel with egg
and tongue frieze forming a base to a sarcophagus on claw feet with
draped medallion of a woman and urn, and over the sarcophagus a funerary
urn on brackets. (See B.O.E. Kent, II, 1983, 313 to 314).
Listing NGR: TR2799449647
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings