This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8711 / 51°52'16"N
Longitude: 0.6869 / 0°41'12"E
OS Eastings: 585069
OS Northings: 222584
OS Grid: TL850225
Mapcode National: GBR QKF.LGN
Mapcode Global: VHJJL.V7GF
Entry Name: Cottage and Country Gardens
Listing Date: 31 October 1966
Last Amended: 6 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1123141
English Heritage Legacy ID: 116122
Location: Coggeshall, Braintree, Essex, CO6
Civil Parish: Coggeshall
Built-Up Area: Coggeshall
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Coggeshall with Markshall
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL EAST STREET
9/90 No. 9 (Cottage and
31.10.66 Country Gardens)
(formerly listed as
No. 9 (House and shop)
House, now shop and house. Circa 1600, extended in early C17, altered in C20.
Timber framed, plastered and weatherboarded, roofed with handmade red plain
tiles. Main range of 2 bays facing S, with stack to rear of left bay. Early
C17 2-bay wing to rear of right bay and stack, with external stack at rear
right. Minor rear extensions, subject to planning application at tine of
survey, May 1987. Ground floor, one late C19 tripartite sash of 2-2-2 lights,
and C20 shopfront in early C19 style below shallow full-length jetty; C20
half-glazed door with plain overlight. First floor, 2 early C19 sashes of 16
lights with crown glass. Roof hipped at right. Weatherboarded dado on part of
right return. Rear elevation weatherboarded, with 2 early C19 sashes of 16 and
24 lights respectively, with crown glass, on first floor. Rear door of re-used
hardwood floorboards. Underbuilt jetty, in addition to the shallow jetty
apparent externally; bressumer missing. Chamfered axial beam with lamb's tongue
stops, plain joists of vertical section. Wide wood-burning hearth, mantel beam
chamfered with lamb's tongue and notch stops. Inserted post in middle of shop.
In rear wing, chamfered binding beam on ledged posts, chamfered axial beam with
lamb's tongue and notch stops, plain joists of vertical section; C19 brick
nogging in left wall. Wide wood-burning hearth at rear reduced c.1800. On
first floor of main range the framing of the crosswing to the left is exposed,
with trenched curved bracing, smoke-blackened from the hall which formerly
occupied this site (see item 9/89). C18 inserted hearth with curved back,
mantel beam unchamfered because originally covered by fire surround, missing.
Over right bay, chamfered axial beam with step stops at one end only, re-used.
Roof rebuilt. RCHM 64.
Listing NGR: TL8506922584
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings