This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8029 / 51°48'10"N
Longitude: 0.5674 / 0°34'2"E
OS Eastings: 577111
OS Northings: 214699
OS Grid: TL771146
Mapcode National: GBR PJQ.S9W
Mapcode Global: VHJJQ.SY99
Entry Name: Mill Dam Forming Road Bridge over River Ter and Associated Wheel Chamber and Water Pump to the South
Listing Date: 13 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1123415
English Heritage Legacy ID: 115471
Location: Terling, Braintree, Essex, CM3
Civil Parish: Terling
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Terling All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 7714 TERLING CHURCH ROAD
11/123 Mill dam forming road
bridge over River Ter,
and associated wheel
chamber and water pump
to the south
Mill dam and wheel chamber of former watermill, 1767, and water pump, c.1870.
Red brick in English bond, abutments of bridge reinforced with concrete.
Aligned NE-SW across the River Ter, approx. 40 metres long, with 2 stilted round
arches over the main channel, and a smaller stilted round arch over an overflow
channel at the NE end. Wheel chamber and pump immediately S of SW end. On SE
face of dam a stone tablet inscribed 'J.S. 1767' and a bronze plaque 'Essex
County Council 1914'. The mill and associated works were constructed by John
Strutt. The mill was demolished by the second Lord Rayleigh, who installed
a pump in the original wheel-chamber, to supply drinking water to the village.
A cast iron pipe of square section led the intake, through a control valve
operated by a bevel gear, to drive an undershot cast iron wheel with 24 curved
vanes. The supply of drinking water was piped from a spring at Swan Pond, 250
metres to the S, to 3 galvanised horizontal cylinders bolted through their end
flanges to a cast iron chest containing 3 non-return valves. The water-wheel
drove a crankshaft mounted on 3 split bearings, and 3 connecting rods and
pistons. From the chest the water passed through a domed cylindrical collector
and a gravity-operated safety valve to a system of standpipes, with an overflow
in Wat Hobbs Lane. This sytem remained in use until c.1915, when it was
replaced by an engine-driven pump of larger capacity, required to supply a large
military camp. At the time of inspection, March 1985, the waterwheel and pump
were complete except for one broken vane, one piston, connecting rod and
big-end, part of the control gear, and oil cups for the bearings (G.A. Isted, A
Story of Terling, 1977, 3-9).
Listing NGR: TL7711114699
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings